About COM objects....

"The only things you have to know are the names of the Objects that are used and which 'properties' or 'methods' they have."

This implementation in the last versions of autoit gives it a tremendous flexibility in some sectors...But i'm totally newbie to it....Is there any way to find at least a list of objects and their description? I'd like to know the choices i have and then i can search for their specific methods or properties.... Is there any site (except msdn cos only confusing it is...) or any e-book ?

thx in advance.

No that didn't do the trick... It has info about how to use COM objects in .NET , some sample code and that's all.... No full reference to objects or methods or at least a simple list of all available Objects....

Would the platform SDK that microsoft gives be my solution? Is there any reference on COM objects there? is there anyone who's aware of that?

Thanx for your help SolidSnake but it's not what i really wanted....

Edited by hgeras

"The only things you have to know are the names of the Objects that are used and which 'properties' or 'methods' they have."

This implementation in the last versions of autoit gives it a tremendous flexibility in some sectors...But i'm totally newbie to it....Is there any way to find at least a list of objects and their description? I'd like to know the choices i have and then i can search for their specific methods or properties.... Is there any site (except msdn cos only confusing it is...) or any e-book ?

thx in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know exactly where you are comming from. Finding the right object and method can be much more difficult than doing the code. Once you find the info, plus a good example, then you are off and running, but you flounder until then. The beta help file says this as well:

All Windows versions have a huge amount of internal Objects for various purposes.  And applications like Excel or Word have also their own set of Objects. 

However, it is sometimes difficult to get a list of all existing Objects defined on your system with their corresponding properties and methods.  Searching at Microsoft.com or Google.com might give you some clues about the Object 'X' you want to use.

For instance, you can find information about the "shell.application" object at: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/sh...g/objectmap.asp

The most common objects I see on the forum are kernel32, user32, winhttp.winhttprequest.5.1, WinHTTP.

The beta help file has some more URLs to go to. I usually end up googling the object, finding a MS URL and go to that.

Also, here is a guide to 900 API's that someone gave me on the forum, which I think are object methods/functions, do not know for sure. API guide For instance you can look up SLEEP and you will find it is in kernel32 lib. But this sight appears to me to be more usefull to look up how to use something you already know the name of. We need to find the name in the first place.

Maybe someone knows of a URL that has a listing of windows objects, summary of that obj function, and a list of the methods/events/properties for that object?

Regards

Larry

I'm, Lovin' IT, X

The most common objects I see on the forum are kernel32, user32, winhttp.winhttprequest.5.1,

You're confusing DLL's and COM objects. They are not the same thing. Those DLL's you list are regular-ole DLL's. COM objects, though usually housed in DLL's, are an entirely different thing both in how they are written and how they are used.

Oh, and you can find most of the objects applications install here: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\"... But you have to search after all the file extensions... But again, it's still hard to find how they are used.

FootbaG

(except msdn cos only confusing it is...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to enter this world, I suggest you not rebel against MSDN, but figure out how to use it. It is a vast repository of free and well organized information about COM -- although I will admit it is daunting and confusing at first.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

If you want to enter this world, I  suggest you not rebel against MSDN, but figure out how to use it.  It is a vast repository of free and well organized information about COM -- although I will admit it is daunting and confusing at first.

Dale

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its daunting and confusing still yet and I've been using MSDN for a couple years now.

MSDN.com + AutoITforums.com = (secret of life) - 1

EDIT:

BTW I heard soemhting about longhorn doing away with com? Am I entirely off my rocker? I very well could be... Ill google and edit this post if I am.

EDIT of the EDIT:

http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-5148148.html

Maybe "doing away with" was not right but I guess i wasnt as off my rocker as I thought.

Edited by Wus

Its daunting and confusing still yet and I've been using MSDN for a couple years now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah on second thought, I think I'd change the "well organized" comment to simply say "structured". It is not organized the way I think, but with enough plodding you can usually navigate to what you need.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanx for all the info but i see that most of you have the same problem with me...

When i first got in touch with AutoIt V3 i read the help file many times over to see what it's capabilities are. To see what it can do and what not.... I was hoping that there was a list of all available COM objects(e.g. "shell.application") too but it is something like utopia....

Appreciated the input,and if someone else has any info on that ,please post it cos i think many in this forum will be helped....

MSDN.com has a scriptcenter (visual basic) that shows a step by step of how to use com.  It is a little different in autoIT but it gives you a lot of understanding.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ing06112002.asp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

another thing you guys may want to look at for a resource for .dll's etc, is the MS Platform SDK. On MSDN if you search for 'Platform SDK' you'll go to a download page. it has alot of tools with it for writing and debuging windows apps in a few languages, but what i got it and use it for is the help file. It has full explanations and examples for all of the standard dll's, objects, etc for all supported (and even plenty of stuff for unsupported 95/98) operating systems. it's still made by microsoft and so it's a little less organized than i'd like, but it works pretty well. Alot of the information in it is on MSDN also, but i prefer the help file interface vs the MSDN, and it doesn't have all of the random articles etc that you invariably get when looking for quality code fragments on MSDN. Edited by cameronsdad

I have wished for the same thing -- give me a list of everything with a COM interface so that I can scheme what I want to do -- but have never been able to find it.

One idea though is that the COM Classnames appear to be stored in the registry is a keys called ProgId and VersionIndependantProgId in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{some-guid}\.

Now, I remember some code posted a while back that facilitated searching the registry, but I cannot find it -- anyone have a pointer? With this you could probably list out the registed interfaces on your system and go from there.

Dale

I have wished for the same thing -- give me a list of everything with a COM interface so that I can scheme what I want to do -- but have never been able to find it.

One idea though is that the COM Classnames appear to be stored in the registry is a keys called ProgId and VersionIndependantProgId in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{some-guid}\. 

Now, I remember some code posted a while back that facilitated searching the registry, but I cannot find it -- anyone have a pointer?  With this you could probably list out the registed interfaces on your system and go from there.

Dale

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you probably want OLE/COM Object Viewer?

I think you probably want OLE/COM Object Viewer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool! So install this (note: by default it drops the program here: C:\Program Files\Resource Kit), look in Grouped by Component Category -> Automation Objects. Look through the listed apps, find yours, select it and then you'll find the ProgID and VersionsIndependantProgID that you can use in the classname for Obj[Create|Get] in the registry section on the right.

Dale

You have been more than useful! The microsoft proggie is quite promising and with conjunction with the Platform SDK help file will be something useful.... I think this info should be made a sticky cos since the object implementation in Auto it ,many will be lost just like me....

Thanx for the useful info....

Here is an alphabetical listing of win32 functions with their lib. has some other stuff too. May be of some help

Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see anything here to help with COM. Looks like a good resource for Win32 API coding however.

Dale

Now that's some interesting info right here. We have a treasure installed on our pc and I didn't know it....Microsoft Word! There is an object browser there with lots of info.

Fire up MS Word and press Alt+F11. Then go to Tools-->References and add in any object libraries you like.press ok and then press F2.Voila... A very good reference for all objects installed on your computer(even acrobat and so on).

But i had some problems rising. I wanted for instance to "play" with media player...

the progID is wmplayer.ocx.7 .If i give this code:

$media=ObjCreate("wmplayer.ocx.7")
$media.launchurl("http://www.msn.com")

then internet explorer pops up and connects. So far so good.

But if i give him something like:

$media=ObjCreate("wmplayer.ocx.7")
$media.Next

I get an error like this even if it is a legal function of the media player class.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\scripts\test.au3 (4) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:

$media.Next

$media.Next^ ERROR

Does anyone know what is going on?

PS . Most of the functions dont work for me but some do.BTW the function next() is for playing next track.

thanx