Searching "within" folders AND sub-folders

Anyways thanks Melba....at the end i went and took your advice and used "RecFileListToArray.au3"...and as always...it WORKED! :oops:

...now just for the fine-tuning and get rid of all my "demo/test"-codes i had in my script, lol

( Had to fix about 1 000 000 errors in my code as well...due to all the changes and stuff i've tried...can you believe...)

PS: for what its worth...I managed to create the same program "without" array's...and it worked 100%...Had to do a bit of "cleanup" and shift functions around to get the end-result...Reason why i stayed away from arrays? I want to do the coding myself...and just KNEW there was a way...

Thanks for all the advice from you guys...i appreciate

(Sorry for being "Grumpy" too...must be the frustration, lol )

Edited by MariusN

• Moderators

MariusN,

If you recoded my UDF not to use arrays, I would be really interested in seeing the result! :oops:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

MariusN,

If you recoded my UDF not to use arrays, I would be really interested in seeing the result! :doh:

M23

I kept your "udf" as a backup and will use it in future programs ( still need to learn arrays, but i'm just to lazy...Its easier for me to just go ahead and figure the "sequence" out of what to do, lol )

At the end i did the programming without your udf ( thanks for helping me still, i appreciate ), and just created a couple of "$Var's" and assigned certain 0 and 1's to it. Ie if $joker = 1 then or if $check = 0, etc etc....you'll catch my drift :oops:

What i DID find out quite interesting...is after a certain function, just assign a $var to it ( ie $seek = 1 or $found = 1)...or if it CANT find something, add $find = 0...THIS way, when i get to a certain function, i just need to say :if $seek = 0 then, etc etc )...helped me a lot :bye:

This is how my program looks ---> Posted Image

At the moment my COMPLETE program is 2123 line long ( thats including THIS module...quite a huge program )

Edited by MariusN

• Moderators

MariusN,

still need to learn arrays, but i'm just to lazy

They are an essential part of any coder's toolkit - trying to code without them is like having one arm tied behind your back. :oops:

I would suggest an "anti-lazy" cure sometime soon! :bye:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

MariusN,

I would suggest an "anti-lazy" cure sometime soon! :bye:

M23

...lol

They are an essential part of any coder's toolkit - trying to code without them is like having one arm tied behind your back. :oops:

M23

...true...but THIS way...you learn the HARD way....and i believe this way is the best...when learning to program...Once i'm a BUFF...i'll start on arrays :doh: Edited by MariusN

This thread at least prompted me to try Melba's function. Out of curiosity I did Explorer Property page on my downloads folder(which has a bunch of subfolders with files.) Then did my MD5Hash program which recursively computes hash for an entire folder, then Melba's function. They all said 776 files found. So that makes me believe Melba's function works correctly. Very nice for the toolbox. :oops:

To the OP, I can see trying to avoid arrays in some languages where they are not real arrays but just a macro syntactic trick. But for languages with native array support it's a must. Could you possibly be a fugitive from assembly language? heh heh

Edited by MilesAhead

This thread at least prompted me to try Melba's function. Out of curiosity I did Explorer Property page on my downloads folder(which has a bunch of subfolders with files.) Then did my MD5Hash program which recursively computes hash for an entire folder, then Melba's function. They all said 776 files found. So that makes me believe Melba's function works correctly. Very nice for the toolbox. :bye:

To the OP, I can see trying to avoid arrays in some languages where they are not real arrays but just a macro syntactic trick. But for languages with native array support it's a must. Could you possibly be a fugitive from assembly language? heh heh

As i DID had a look at Melma's UDF, its pretty easy to use it...why? Cause Malba has basically done ALL the coding FOR us...lol

Well, i DID use Assembler in the past, and what i like about it is, its like comparing a MANUEL car with an AUTOMATIC car....ARRAYS to me is like "AUTOMATIC"...doing it yourself ( via a major lot of commands) is like a MANUEL car....YOU'RE IN CHARGE!... :oops:

...and believe you me...You then know a lot MORE about your programming too...as YOU did all the hard work :doh:

Edited by MariusN

• Moderators

MariusN,

Melma, Malba

Whatever! ;)

its pretty easy to use [...] Cause Malba has basically done ALL the coding FOR us

That is the general idea behind UDFs. :bye:

doing it yourself ( via a major lot of commands) is like [...]...YOU'RE IN CHARGE

While I can see your point of view I do not really agree with it. I used to program a lot in assembler and used as much library code as I could. Why go to all the trouble of reinventing the wheel when you can just get in a car (to reuse your analogy)?

Where I think we agree is that just blindly using someone else's code is not going to help you improve - where we differ is that I believe using that code and understanding how it works is very likely to make you a better coder in future, you seem to feel that you need to work everything out yourself and ignore other methods. Why not profit from seeing how others deal with the same problem - the way you have gone may not be optimal. :doh:

And to return to arrays (and your analogy) - by refusing to use them you are not "IN CHARGE" of a manual car, you are struggling along in a kiddies pedal car. As I said earlier, arrays are an essential part of a coder's toolbox and you are really hobbling your code if you do not even try to understand and use them. :oops:

But it is your life and your code - just make sure you enjoy both! ;)

M23

Spoiler

As i DID had a look at Melma's UDF, its pretty easy to use it...why? Cause Malba has basically done ALL the coding FOR us...lol

Well, i DID use Assembler in the past, and what i like about it is, its like comparing a MANUEL car with an AUTOMATIC car....ARRAYS to me is like "AUTOMATIC"...doing it yourself ( via a major lot of commands) is like a MANUEL car....YOU'RE IN CHARGE!... :oops:

...and believe you me...You then know a lot MORE about your programming too...as YOU did all the hard work :bye:

I was just kidding because I did Masm and Tasm myself back in Dos days. Also learned a bit of basic Vax Assembler. It's very similar to Intel 80x86 except there are no segment registers. 32 bit flat addressing. Vax had some funny ways of doing things. I remember if you called a function in Vax asm and the return address was not on a 4 byte boundary, it pushed the address of the 4 byte boundary preceding the return address. Then it stuck the 2 bits in a particular register. It added those 2 bits, if they were not zero, to the 4 byte boundary address to get the return address as it popped the stack. Talk about strange! I can't remember why it did that, but it did.