Running SplashTextOn as SYSTEM? Is it possible?

I'm working on adding a splash screen to an installer and uninstaller. The splash screen displays fine when run under a user context. But, when it runs with Config Manager 2007, it runs as SYSTEM. Nothing displays. Running as the user is not an options because they are basic users. Is there a way to get this to display when run with the SYSTEM account? Thanks!

When running things under the system context, certain things will not work. Your script will not be able to directly interact with the desktop or create files in it. I'm not really sure how your getting it to run under LSA but my best guess is that it's being launched by a service right? If so, then there should be some kind of option around there that will let you run it as a service that has the ability to interact with the desktop or something like that.

Edited by ApudAngelorum

To test the script, I'm using PSExec to manually run with the system account. The script creates the folder, copies the files, and then runs the installer. But, my client wants a splash screen so that the users see that something is being installed. Any other ideas how I can display something under the system context with AutoIT?

You probably ran across that script in the examples section that PhoenixXL made didn't you?

Any other ideas how I can display something under the system context with AutoIT?

Two things pop into my head.

1) Don't run it under the system account, I can't see why this would be necessary other than feeling cool about doing it. :idiot:

2) Look into PsExec.exe command line parameters, I believe I remember it should have an option to allow the process to interact with the desktop. :dance:

You probably ran across that script in the examples section that PhoenixXL made didn't you?

Two things pop into my head.

1) Don't run it under the system account, I can't see why this would be necessary other than feeling cool about doing it. :idiot:

2) Look into PsExec.exe command line parameters, I believe I remember it should have an option to allow the process to interact with the desktop. :dance:

I created this script myself over the past few days. All it does is creates a directory, stages some config files on the local system, runs an installer, and then deletes the staging folder and files. I just need a splash screen to go with it.

I don't have a choice but to run it under the system account. The script is being used with Configuration Manager 2007. The user does not have rights to install applications. So, it has to be installed as system.

PSExec is only my testing situation to mimick the Configuration Manager environment (installing as system). It won't be used in production. The Configuration Manager client on each system runs the app installs as system.

Thanks!

I created this script myself over the past few days. All it does is creates a directory, stages some config files on the local system, runs an installer, and then deletes the staging folder and files. I just need a splash screen to go with it.

I don't have a choice but to run it under the system account. The script is being used with Configuration Manager 2007. The user does not have rights to install applications. So, it has to be installed as system.

PSExec is only my testing situation to mimick the Configuration Manager environment (installing as system). It won't be used in production. The Configuration Manager client on each system runs the app installs as system.

Thanks!

When you say as "system", it is not running as a service then, rather just as "NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM".

That sounds tough, I don't think there is an option for allowing desktop interaction in that context. I'm not absolutely sure about that though but one thing I would try if I were you is have your application relaunch itself in the current user context, look at the RunAs() function, hopefully allowing you to show status using the child process and create a form of communication between them.

I wasn't able to post yesterday because of the post limit. But, for my situation, I solved my issue. In Config Manager 2007, there is a check box in the program to allow the user to interact with the program. So, even though the script is running as the local system account, it still displays on the screen. Thanks for your replies!