Auto login to Windows using SEND commands & Dell KACE

We have Dell KACE managing all of our machines, which allows us to run scripts, programs, etc while the machine is logged off. I figured I would make a simple "auto login" script that would log the machine into Windows while sitting at the domain username and password field. However, it's not working. I'm new to AutoIT, but have made some basic scripts that work so far and this one seems pretty straight forward. I tell my KACE appliance to run the exe I compiled on the machine, but nothing happens (even with the blinking input cursor in the username field). While in Windows/notepad, it works - just not at the login screen. Is this some limitation in regards to AutoIT scripts?

Sleep(2000)
Send("pctech")
Send("{TAB}")
Send("XXX")
Send("{ENTER}")

Any ideas? Using our KACE appliance, it should run - so I'm not sure if it's KACE, or AutoIT.

• Moderators

Why not just turn Auto Logon on in the registry, and then delete the key when you're done? A Google search of "auto logon registry" would get you started.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

That would work too - but would require a restart of the machine, right? I was looking for something simple that I could run when they were just sitting at the login screen and be immediate rather than having to do a reboot.

• 2 weeks later...