Newbie project ideas

z0ne

Hi just today i've found Autoit and am already finding it to be a great tool. However I have a specific project in mind that I am planning to use Autoit for but I just don't know what direction to take and if it is actually possible. From what i've seen on-line most guides (youtube) are mainly do with logging onto IE or just sending words to open windows etc.

For my project I need to write a script that will be able to download data from a specified usb device into a specific program installed on my computer and then complete actions within that program to automate a process which is done manually at the moment and could save a lot of time through automation. Any help would be greatly appreciated currently I just have my code opening the program haha. My programming knowledge is ok as I have used C++, php, javascript before.

Welcome to the forums :)

"specified USB device" - That could be very very simple, or very very tricky depending on what you mean here. If it's just a usb stick then it's just FileCopy(), but if its an HID device then you will probably be dealing with a vendor supplied dll, which isn't always straight forward.

Automating the program should be a breeze, but it depends on the program. 

We'll struggle to help you any more, so your best bet is going for it and coming back when you run into a problem.

Cheers Mat, the usb device is actually a sound level meter however the program has the inbuilt capability to download the data. The automation will more be for selecting different settings in the program depending on what data is needed to be downloaded. I'm plodding on with it though, although just making my UI and function skeletons at the moment!