Passing data to a cmd file

Hi everybody,

I have a question, I use this code:

_RunDos(' start C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

To send data input from a user and send it into a cmd file to run a printer install and it works perfectly. However I just ran into a problem when the username has a space in it, it no longer works. So my question is can I use ShellExecute in order to accomplish this when the username has a space? Or is there anyway to modify my _RunDos command in order for it to work with user names with a space.

Here is the simple CMD i was using for testing to pass the variables into the cmd file:

@echo off
color 79
mode con cols=80 lines=40 >nul
title Printer Installer
set name=%1
set ip=%2
echo.
echo You entered: %name% for printer name and %IP% for IP address.
echo.
pause
exit

Thank you!

• Developers

Normally you would put the command in double quotes:

' "start C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "'

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Normally you would put the command in double quotes:

' "start C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "'

Jos

Hi Jos,

Thanks for the suggestion that was the first thing I tried and it errors out saying it can find the username. It only shows the first name and that is it.

• Developers

See I've  put to opening double quote at the wrong spot. Should be just in front of the c:

' start "C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "'

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

See I've  put to opening double quote at the wrong spot. Should be just in front of the c:

' start "C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "'

Jos

That does pull up the cmd but it no longer passes the variables to the batch file. I am still at a loss on what to do.

• Developers

I hope you understood that I was only giving you the first bit of your whole line to change?

So are you now using something like this?

_RunDos(' start "C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

Also wondering why you use Start and not just

_RunDos('"C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

Or ShellExecute:

ShellExecute("C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd",'"' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I hope you understood that I was only giving you the first bit of your whole line to change?

So are you now using something like this?

_RunDos(' start "C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

Also wondering why you use Start and not just

_RunDos('"C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

Or ShellExecute:

ShellExecute("C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\C1SetupUtility\Files\Scripts\Printers\Xerox.cmd",'"' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterName) & '" "' & GUICtrlRead($PrinterIP) & '"')

Jos

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! Finally got it working with your last example, the only reason why I was using the start command was because that was used in the only working example I found.

Thank you for all your help!