Autoit Hotkeys not working in Windows 8

I play poker online and have used a hotkey script for years.  I was recently forced to get a new computer with Windows 8 on it.  I am playing on Pokerstars and now suddenly the hotkey script doesn't work at all.  When I have a Pokerstars table open, it behaves as if the script were not running.  Oddly, it seems to work normally in all other settings, the only other window over which it seems not to work is the task manager.  What could be causing this?

Thanks, that's helpful.  Would it sway the mods' opinion that PokerStars fully allows the use of AutoIt for that purpose? It's specifically named as an allowed third party software in their terms and conditions, we aren't talking about some kind of lame world of warcraft hack - it's standard practice for professional poker players.  

If not lets pretend it doesn't have anything to do with games, as it often times doesn't since I use autoit for a number of tasks.  I just got a windows 8 machine and I am finding that hotkeys and the send function are behaving erratically.   They will work on one window within a program then they will suddenly stop working when a different program is opened even when it is in the background, then they will return to working once the background program has been closed.  

My scripts similarly will not work with respect to the task manager in windows 8, as if they don't have sufficient permission.  In all these cases when it doesn't work it is as if the script were not running at all.  Where text input is possible keystrokes input text with letters and numbers which were assigned functions in the hotkey script, as if the script were not running.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

Edited by judgeholdem1848

• Moderators

judgeholdem1848,

Would it sway the mods' opinion that PokerStars fully allows the use of AutoIt for that purpose? It's specifically named as an allowed third party software in their terms and conditions

No. :naughty:

As you say it happens elsewhere than in your game, I suggest you post a reproducer script which demonstrates this behaviour using task manager and other permitted apps. A lot of people here use Win 8 and I do not recall any other problems of this nature. If it can be reproduced using standard apps then we can look into it - if not then it must be your game affecting AutoIt and the thread gets closed. Over to you. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Do not ask for help with AutoIt scripts, post links to, or start discussion topics on the following subjects:

Launching, automation or script interaction with games or game servers, regardless of the game.

If not lets pretend it doesn't have anything to do with games, as it often times doesn't since I use autoit for a number of tasks.

Since you use AutoIt for a number of tasks, lets not pretend that it doesn't have anything to do with games and just post a script that isn't working correctly and isn't related to games and you'll get tons of help

Sorry I just have a personal distaste for capricious, arbitrary, obstructionist rules especially when they directly cost me money.

As for the task manager, my hotkey script clearly behaves differently with respect to the task manager in Windows 8 vs Windows 7, in fact it will not allow the script to interact with any feature of it.  How would I go about demonstrating this?  I am not familiar with a reproducer script or how to use one, where can I quickly come up to speed?

The gist of the script in question is the following, just basic mouse clicks for the most part

<snip>

This is a snippet but it doesn't do a ton else.  Now this script will not interact at all with the task manager in Windows 8.  When the task manager is in the foreground, it behaves as if the script weren't running.

Edited by Melba23
Code removed

• Moderators

Judgeholdem1848,

I just have a personal distaste for capricious, arbitrary, obstructionist rules especially when they directly cost me money

And I have a serious distaste for people who have such cavalier attitude towards the house rules which apply to them as much as anyone else. Thead locked - and do not open another on the same subject. :naughty:

M23

Edited by Melba23
Added quote

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Thanks guys.  I've repeatedly recommended your software to numerous users over the years, and in fact many people in the poker community do use your product, to your badly misplaced dismay.  

Needless to say my recommendations have hereby permanently ceased.  

Edited by judgeholdem1848

Thanks guys.  I've repeatedly recommended your software to numerous users over the years, and in fact many people in the poker community do use your product, to your badly misplaced dismay.  

Needless to say my recommendations have hereby permanently ceased.  

wut?

• Moderators

Stoex I am as confused as FireFox. Are you saying your loop is for use with your poker game?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I think you're confusing judgeholdem with stoex

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

judgeholdem1848,

Needless to say my recommendations have hereby permanently ceased

As, given your evident disregard for our rules on game related scripts and your behaviour here in hijacking a totally unrelated thread, has your membership of this community. :bye:

M23

Edit: Split and merged posts from the hijacked thread to keep it OT.

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler