Run()/ShellExecute() not working

I'm new to AutoIt, having used it only for a couple of weeks. I'm running the latest version of AutoIt3 on 64-bit Windows 7 (Home Premium) and having a problem with the Run() and ShellExecute() functions.

I have a small library of user-defined functions, let's call it Library.au3. It works like this: At the command prompt I command Library.au3 foo. The script checks to see if user function foo is defined: if so, it executes it, otherwise does nothing. Although this works at the command prompt, if I try to call a Library function from a script with Run("d:\path\Library.au3 foo") or ShellExecute("d:\path\Library.au3 foo"), I get the error message "Windows cannot find "d:\path\Library.au3 foo", check to see if you spelled the name correctly, etc. etc." It appears that the argument "foo" is gumming up the works -- AutoIt or Windows is trying to execute a file named "d:\path\Library.au3 foo" instead of d:\path\Library.au3 with argument "foo".

Help appreciated: What am I doing wrong?

Carl

PS: I tried prefixing "cmd.exe /c" and "cmd.exe /c start" to the command, but I get the same error message.

Edited by CarlD
PS

• Moderators

Hi, CarlD, welcome to the forum. It depends on how you are running the uncompiled scripts. If you are simply wanting to run them on a machine with AutoIt installed, you can do something like this:

ShellExecute("d\pth\library.au3","","","Run")

If you are running it on a machine that does not have AutoIt installed, please see the link below (bottom of the page) for running an uncompiled script from a compiled executable:

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/intro/running.htm

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi, CarlD, welcome to the forum. It depends on how you are running the uncompiled scripts. If you are simply wanting to run them on a machine with AutoIt installed, you can do something like this:

ShellExecute("d\pth\library.au3","","","Run")

If you are running it on a machine that does not have AutoIt installed, please see the link below (bottom of the page) for running an uncompiled script from a compiled executable:

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/intro/running.htm

Thanks for the welcome, and the lightning-fast response! For now, I'm running it on a machine with AutoIt installed -- and, yes, the ShellExecute statement with four parameters works!

Is there a full list of "verbs" somewhere? I don't see "Run" in the documentation for ShellExecute.

Thanks again! :)

• Moderators

Glad your issue was resolved. I would look at the MSDN link below if you are interested in the verbs available to you.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx

In essence, if you don't specify one of the 5 verbs shown, it uses the default verb, then the "open" verb.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Actually, I've been running (no pun intended) into problems with the verb "Run". When the command is an EXEcutable file, ShellExecute returns an error message to the effect that there is no Windows application associated with this type of file -- weird. If I change "Run" to "" or "Open", the error goes away.

From the webpage, link to by JLogan3o13.  

The set of available verbs depends on the particular file or folder. Generally, the actions available from an object's shortcut menu are available verbs. 

Adam