how to check for duplicate instance of script

Guest s_mack

Ok... I'll call you a liar on that one. I think that was complete BS but go ahead and prove me wrong.

I was looking for a solution of mulithreading or some simulation to that effect... if that's what you came up with then great! That is exactly what I was looking for!

And so what if I "questioned" the stability of the code?? You still don't get it! "questions" are not insults. They are not "I know better"s. They are freaking questions!!! Why does that bother you so much?

Anyway, I think you're just typing a "that'll teach him" and hiding behind some fake browser crash... which is sad. If I'm wrong, and you really do have something then I would readily post an apology for calling you a liar.

So I'm putting it on the line and calling you out cause I think you're full of shyte.

- Steven

ok... here's a message i just received:

This is just getting sad.

You are still way off. I never declined any help that was asked for. I'm not sure why you want to insist I dont' know what I'm doing... that "external program" you speak of IS the authentication method... it can not be bypassed and there simply is no other way to do it without a major reworking of the entire process. That process, as I tried to explain, is completely unique and nothing you or anyone else but our organization has ever seen because it was developed from the ground up by our programmers for our exact and unique purpose. I acknowledged that there is certainly a possibility that it could be better coded, certainly, but that we would not consider going there under any circumstances... we paid over $80,000 (and still climbing) for that software and whether it is flawed or not we are committed to it now. It works great, btw, it just takes a couple seconds longer than I'd like for the purposes of working it into this script. There is absolutely no point in me explaining this to you, but you just won't drop it. There was no point in putting it in the question because it isn't something we would consider and I think you can appreciate that!

The script I'm writing is simply a little tiny insignifant part of the puzzle... its just there to make the users have a little easier time diagnosing problems and whether its on their end or our end. The check to see if the server is live simply takes 2 to 3 seconds and there is NOTHING that can be done about it that we would consider... its just the truth. Its not arrogance, its not ignorance, its not me being the kind of person I say you are... it is, as I've said several times already, just what it is! I never asked for help with that, I expressed appreciation for you and other trying to go there but politely stated that there was no need... then you (like the dude you went to for support - valik or whatever) got personal and took it like I was testing your ego. For Pete's sake its rediculous! And now you come here to whine and cry and say its my fault.

Both of you simply mis-read my (completely unrelated) questions, tried to answer some other question I never asked, and then got pissed off when I didn't bow down to your overwhelming superiority as human beings. My Lord... I came here with the complete understanding that whoever would be replying to my questions would know a billion times more on the subject than I did... I started out on the assumption that I was the newbie and I had something to learn. But its just not true! I now realize that I have nothing to learn from either of you... you may very well know autoIt scripting better than I do... you may know programming in general far better than I will ever know it... you may make a grilled cheese sandwich with more skill than has ever been exhibited by man! But you have nothing to teach me because you CANT THINK!

I'm not perfect, as shown by the very fact I'm responding to this garbage and continuing to do so, but man I'm glad I don't have my head in the dirt like you.

Now #### off! Please!

red #'s are me covering up a word i didn't want to quote in a public forum. Now, even when i suggested that you post the code to see if someone else could help you optimize, i didn't say that i would be the one to do it, or would even be able to you myself. Anyway. I don't know what gave you the perception that i think about myself as the supreme autoit master or whatever, but the thought is to laughable to even be worth addressing. Now i suggest you have someone else read the highlighted portion of this post to you, because you seem completely incapable of reading something yourself and understanding the true intent. If you hear the same thing from someone you like, you may actually open your mind enough to give yourself a chance to understand it. Your function that calls the external program is returning a value for a purpose, if you could explain what it's returning, someone may be able to help you receive a similar result another way without using that external program. Whatever that other program is doing, it's interacting through windows, and you may be able to work more directly going through windows via autoit, and reduce some of the excess processing time by avoiding unnecessary operations etc that may be performed by the other program. If you're able to articulate what exactly you want, someone may be able to show you another way to get it; and odds are if there's only one person on here that knows how to get what you want (once he knows exactly what you want) through windows, it's Valik. As far as the multi-threaded approach that you're seeking to continue doing the things the way you are now, while AutoIT does not directly support multi-threaded execution, it is not difficult to achieve the same result; the easiest way would be to take your 3 line function and put it into a seperate compiled script which could be called from your main script via a Run() command that would allow that function to run at the same time without interfering with the main program. I would definitely include the code described in FAQ #14 into the seperate script, so that no matter how many times it's called (because your loop will definitely be executing faster than the current 2-3 second included function) and you don't want a bunch of instances doing the same thing. That will give you the multi-threaded solution that you're looking for, but i would still strongly encourage you to explain exactly what data you're trying to get from your external program to see if noone has a better way to retrieve the same data. I understand that you've got alot invested in that 3rd part solution, but no matter how much you pay someone to skin a cat, it will not be the only way. I would also suggest you take your own advice, and open your mind to the ideas and feed back that you're quite literally asking for. If you're incapable of doing that, then continue to be a jackass and in your own words:

#### off!

So much for private message being private.

I'm not even going to bother reading whatever crap you just thought you wrote. I'm sure it is chalk full of insults and that's fine. You have demonstrated that you can't follow a logical argument so just go away!!!

atleast you're admitting to your closed mindedness now. I pride myself on treating people well, and typically pass on opportunities to point out faults in others, if you don't believe me, check out my posts where i gladly help out anyone who will let me. That's why I was trying to help, even though you were attacking me for my efforts. Whatever. And by the way; it was never an argument outside of your own simple mind, jackass.

Ok... I'll call you a liar on that one. I think that was complete BS but go ahead and prove me wrong.

You can call me a lot of things. A liar is not one of them. Let me point out to you that I've been using this language since before the first official public release. Let me point out to you that I've been a contributing developer to this language for about as long. Is it too much for you to grasp that given that I've been with the project more or less from the beginning, maybe I know a thing or two about the language? If you wish to continue to call me a liar, I will see to it that you are banned from this forum.

I was looking for a solution of mulithreading or some simulation to that effect... if that's what you came up with then great! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Then keep looking because I will not address your problem directly as I attempted to do yesterday before my browser crashed. I've posted a similar concept before on the forum so I know the information is available. In addition, cameronsdad has also posted something that will work if you're clever enough to use it. I can think of at least 3 ways of faking concurrency or at least performing asynchronous actions in AutoIt.

And so what if I "questioned" the stability of the code?? You still don't get it! "questions" are not insults. They are not "I know better"s. They are freaking questions!!! Why does that bother you so much?

It's not the question, it's the way it was asked. You posted in 2 threads picking apart the code and even go so far as to say there is some debate as to how to implement the function. If you would of asked something like, "How reliable is _Singleton and how does it work" without all the extraneous crap, I wouldn't of had a problem. It's all the extra crap you put into your posts and all the unnecessary comments about complexity and convolution and stability that I didn't like.

Anyway, I think you're just typing a "that'll teach him"

I can't teach those not willing to learn.

and hiding behind some fake browser crash... which is sad.

Hiding from what? I have nothing to hide from.

If I'm wrong,

You are.

and you really do have something

I do.

then I would readily post an apology for calling you a liar.

You should although it means nothing to me.

So I'm putting it on the line and calling you out cause I think you're full of shyte.

It's too bad I do know what I'm talking about, then, which makes you dead wrong. Evidence that I know what I am talking about can be found in various posts on the forum where I explain how to have a long-running task executing while a GUI is displayed without delaying the GUI.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Did you look in the Beta Help File... It's right under Sin there.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.