Au3Update facelift

kjactive

Au3Update.exe still has the same problems. The install of AutoIt Beta still doesn't work, and it's still being distributied with an INI that points to C:\Programmer.

BTW - I've tried this on at least five systems with the same results - most with clean Windows installations.

When you did your test, did you at least rename C:\Programmer so that any remenants of it wouldn't work?

Anyway, I've fixed all the problems - plus added a readout of what Beta version is already installed (remember, I mentioned that in my email months ago). The fixed code is attached.

Au3Update_Pre_FIXED.au3

I don't know why you have all these problems as I do not get other responces about this trouble...

suggestion, as I said above, is to install to "C:\Program Files".

Yes BUT 'Program files' directory is NOT the default path for programs BUT a place to put Shared files like updates etc. like The MS Movie Maker creates a directory in 'Program files' called Movie Maker\shared etc. - This is not a default path for Programs but for Sharad files but never the less an install process and programs should always be able to cope every users choices on install paths and Au3Update is no exception here and I would like to get the 'Run( functiion in line 376' - Run($StartStr & $a,'', @SW_HIDE), $StartStr and $a variable sepparately that would tell me a lot and also what OS you are running as this is vital too...

Vital because the default program path in WinXP ( as it got an option to make sepparate user setups ) would be C:\Document and settings\you user name\Programs but still a programs should be able to cope evey aspect in a install path...

I did changed:

1.inclose the different path lines in Quotes...

2.found and removed an blocking line...

3.made a test for missing library directory and if not available create one...

My application should be able to cope different setups - please drop me the line about what the run command fires up and I'll be alot closer what happens...

I would like to check this trouble out and hopefully learn something in the meantime BUT what lines did you change in your attached changed script - what to look up as I can't see any documentations...

kjactive :lmao:

Edited by kjactive

If WinExists("AutoIt3 System Information...") Then GUIDelete($ystemW)

should it be:

If WinExists("AutoIt3 System Information...") Then GUIDelete($SystemW)

The S is missing.

• Developers

Yes BUT 'Program files' directory is NOT the default path for programs BUT a place to put Shared files like updates etc. like The MS Movie Maker creates a directory in 'Program files' called Movie Maker\shared etc. - This is not a default path for Programs but for Sharad files but never the less an install process and programs should always be able to cope every users choices on install paths and Au3Update is no exception here and I would like to get the 'Run( functiion in line 376' - Run($StartStr & $a,'', @SW_HIDE), $StartStr and $a variable sepparately that would tell me a lot and also what OS you are running as this is vital too...

kjactive, on a standard US/UK english version of Win9x/2k/xp the "C:\Program files" is the standard subdirectory where all programs are installed by default.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Well that's new to me as in my version, I think North EU almost nothing goes to Program files and all programs 'install processes' automatically point to Programs directory also Autoit3 etc. - I never change installers default paths as this do make trouble from time to time and my c:\programs is filled with different applications like MSOffice, AutoIt3, Google, iTunes etc. all as default installs but on the other hand 'c:\Program Files' is almost empty and do only contain some shared files like updates and addon texts like Movie maker got an directory here called Movie Maker\Shared etc. - but WinXP home add. also use C:\Documents and settings\you name\programs to hold shared files too as this windows do provide buildin different setup options...

Strange I say but on the other hand still just prove that applications do have to cope with different setups and paths no matter and that's why I would like to find out what is the trouble here and hopefully learn something in the mean time...

All path lines is inclosed by quotes, I tested the application on different paths with or without blank characters inbetween - ofcource iff US/UK Windows has different setups from North EU versions then my special zip example paths has to be changed too but as an old programmer I ones did learn to make the working directory the current one and exclude any paths and maybe I got to admit that my old teather was right, 'dam it'..

As programmer I never heard that 'Program Files' should be the default target for programs in some countries default setups but on the other hand this is Microsoft and nothing like that would surprice me...

elTorro: Thanks that slipped my eyes - change this in next update...

One thing I did 'on the playground' in last update was to include MSAgent 'Genie' character to provide a guided tour but in the same time test what SvenP mentioned about his component interface not being able to cope for more that one component at the time as Au3Update do make use of three different componets and that's true there is some touble here, mostly freeing objects again but also that some objects do not like eatch other ( memory handle I think ) like in Au3Update MSAgent component has to be last in order else it blocks for other componets...

I would suggest that peoble use forms to hold more than one componet as a group and let the form do the controlling part then there should be no problems other than a few components that do not like forms at all like quicktime and Adobe pdf...

Edited by kjactive

Well that's new to me as in my version, I think North EU almost nothing goes to Program files and all programs 'install processes' automatically point to Programs directory also Autoit3 etc. - I never change installers default paths as this do make trouble from time to time and my c:\programs is filled with different applications like MSOffice, AutoIt3, Google, iTunes etc. all as default installs but on the other hand 'c:\Program Files' is almost empty and do only contain some shared files like updates and addon texts like Movie maker got an directory here called Movie Maker\Shared etc. - but WinXP home add. also use C:\Documents and settings\you name\programs to hold shared files too as this windows do provide buildin different setup options...

Strange I say but on the other hand still just prove that applications do have to cope with different setups and paths no matter and that's why I would like to find out what is the trouble here and hopefully learn something in the mean time...

All path lines is inclosed by quotes, I tested the application on different paths with or without blank characters inbetween - ofcource iff US/UK Windows has different setups from North EU versions then my special zip example paths has to be changed too but as an old programmer I ones did learn to make the working directory the current one and exclude any paths and maybe I got to admit that my old teather was right, 'dam it'..

As programmer I never heard that 'Program Files' should be the default target for programs in some countries default setups but on the other hand this is Microsoft and nothing like that would surprice me...

elTorro: Thanks that slipped my eyes - change this in next update...

One thing I did 'on the playground' in last update was to include MSAgent 'Genie' character to provide a guided tour but in the same time test what SvenP mentioned about his component interface not being able to cope for more that one component at the time as Au3Update do make use of three different componets and that's true there is some touble here, mostly freeing objects again but also that some objects do not like eatch other ( memory handle I think ) like in Au3Update MSAgent component has to be last in order else it blocks for other componets...

I would suggest that peoble use forms to hold more than one componet as a group and let the form do the controlling part then there should be no problems other than a few components that do not like forms at all like quicktime and Adobe pdf...

Well, this just proves the old saying, when you ASSUME..... I've been working with Windows for over 12 years (and even remember looking at version 1!), and had no idea that other versions used a different name for Program Files (Programs)!!

Anyway, we've all learned something here - especially the value of AutoIt's macros! Be forewarned, Vista (the operating system formerly known as Longhorn) has changed the profile directory from "Documents and Settings" to "Users", and "All Users" to "Public". AutoIt's macros worked flawlessly under Vista. See Macros - version 3.1.1.100.

I've just worked my way through this whole thread after downloading what I presume is the latest version. It's all the same link, right?

Anyway, I used to have a really frustrating issue with version 1.6.2, where it would not download ANYTHING AT ALL! 1.6.3 is working perfectly for me! ;)

I did have to "correct" the Special ZIPs INI file, as I have one of the 99.99% typical paths -- C:\Program Files -- but didn't have any problem with spaces. However, the latter could be because I don't have AutoIt3 in C:\Program Files, only SciTe. AutoIt3 is installed to D:\AutoIt3 on my system, so I was putting Koda into D:\AutoIt3\Koda.

I do have a couple of recommendations, though. For one, and this is something I noticed in 1.6.2 as well, the "AutoIt3 System Information" window fails to obtain version information for things I DO have installed. This is because you're referencing hard-coded file paths in the script. The better option would be to query the Registry for install paths. That way, it doesn't matter where 100% of Win-D'Ohs users choose to place files, you'll always have a valid location.

My second recommendation is a very minor one: I think it would be better to make the Help / About window and the "AutoIt3 System Information" window AppModal, so they remain on top of the main window. I kept loosing the extra windows from Au3UpDate behind every other program I had open whenever I had to task switch. I had to move the main window to the side in order to close the system information, and again in another direction to locate the close button for the About window. Oh, and the edit window for Special ZIPs... I don't know where it went the first time I lost it, but I made sure to finish the edit and close that window before task switching again... o:)

I've attached a Window capture of the System Information, so you can see how it has failed to obtain some versions: SciTe, SciTeConfig, Tidy, Au3Record, FuncPopUp, CompileAu3, etc... They ARE installed, but not in the @ProgramFiles & '\AutoIt3\SciTe' folder that is default if no custom installations are done.

Au3UpDate163_QUARTERHORSE.bmp

And, I do have ResHacker on my system, but it's not "installed" in any generic folder. It resides in a folder I have designated as a network shared "sbin" folder (D:\110LANM\SBIN\ResHacker\ResHacker.exe would be my official path, which is also specified in the CompileAu3.ini file -- People, you need to read the source and figure out that you have to create this file yourself; upx.exe to decompress CompileAu3, then EXE2AU3 it.)

Well, I think that should just about do it for my $2,000.00 worth... :king:

One of Ten Secondary Adjunct of Unimatrix Z03 :lmao:

[right][img]style_emoticons/autoit/robot.gif[/img]One of TenSecondary Adjunct of Unimatrix Z03[/right]

downloading what I presume is the latest version. It's all the same link, right?

True, latest updates always at this link...

Anyway, I used to have a really frustrating issue with version 1.6.2, where it would not download ANYTHING AT ALL! 1.6.3 is working perfectly for me!

Yes I did found some trouble when there was blank characters inbetween paths and a blocking line that I really don't know why it was there!!! but it's nice that the application works now else drop me a line...

I did have to "correct" the Special ZIPs INI file, as I have one of the 99.99% typical paths

Well I just don't know about China setups - that could change procents a lot... but I included a special editor to make life easy in this matter...

Information" window fails to obtain version information for things I DO have installed. This is because you're referencing hard-coded file paths in the script. The better option would be to query the Registry for install paths

Yes I could imagine that was the case here, I track Autoit3 and suppose that all autoitters have SciTe in this directory etc. but it seems not to be case so you'r right I has to change this in next revision BUT I can't track all programs in Registry as there are no entry for ResHacker...

I think it would be better to make the Help / About window and the "AutoIt3 System Information" window AppModal, so they remain on top of the main window

Yes your right - I did that ones but removed it again but seems to forget why - I try ones more in next revision...

I've attached a Window capture of the System Information, so you can see how it has failed to obtain some versions

Thanks that is always nice actually to see an example on what goes on visually and that makes me thinking that there should be a notification on programs not found too...

Well, I think that should just about do it for my $2,000.00 worth...

well I try to make room for your nice suggestions in my next update...

Edited by kjactive