Need to change file association to specific exe

RamonL

Hello community

I have following situation. I need to change a file associaton of a “.eml“ file from Outlook to Groupwise on windows 10.

I tried with the windows 10 included commands „assoc“ and „ftype“, but the associaton was not changed.

The only way to get the associaton changed successfully, is through the default file association GUI. Also registy keys din’t help, because at the time you set the association a hash key is generated. So the only way it to change it trough the GUI.

Now I need to change this association to all our devices. Is there a script who runs the GUI and changes the .eml file associaton from Outlook to Groupwise, if possible in invisible mode so that the steps are not shown on the display?

It would be great, if someone could share me a script.

Thanks in advance for your help.

not knowing why the combination of assoc and ftype did not work for you (even on Windows 10), but i can suggest you capture the changes between the original state and the successfully-modified state to see what registry settings were modified, and then write a script to apply these settings.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Hi Orbs

I did also this... but the problem is, that there are regkeys, that have a hash key. I mean, every time you change the association, you will got a new hash key. So it is impossible to work with a regkey difference

The only way is to work with an autoit script that runs all GUI steps....

if it wasn't Windows 10, i'd strongly recommend you pursue the path of scripting the file association operation. however, knowing that Windows 10 has a strong tendency to revert to Microsoft-favored defaults when altered by the user, i understand your preference to automate the GUI.

your starting point would be getting familiar with the "AutoIt Window Info" tool (it's in the start menu, in the AutoIt program group). use it to investigate the GUI for usable controls. then read the help file for various Control* commands.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff