List/Modify Startup Items on Remote/Local Machine

Is there a good way to list/modify (or just list) startup items on the local or a remote machine? I've thought about querying the registry to do this, but I was wondering if it's already been accomplished, or if there is a better way. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Current Projects:Remote Administration Suite Updated! 12-20-07Remote User State Migration Tool (Plugin) Updated! 12-20-07Batch Print Wizard Updated! 12-20-07Links:AutoIt Beta | AutoIt Wiki

Is there a good way to list/modify (or just list) startup items on the local or a remote machine? I've thought about querying the registry to do this, but I was wondering if it's already been accomplished, or if there is a better way. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

someone has probably already made a UDF for it, but you'd have to do more than just check the registry. In the registry, you'd have to check the Run, and RunOnce, entries for each user and the LocalMachine, but you also have some things that run at startup as services, or from the autoexec.bat, or from the startup folder of the start menu for the user or 'all users'

someone has probably already made a UDF for it, but you'd have to do more than just check the registry. In the registry, you'd have to check the Run, and RunOnce, entries for each user and the LocalMachine, but you also have some things that run at startup as services, or from the autoexec.bat, or from the startup folder of the start menu for the user or 'all users'

The plan was to check:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

And for disabled items to be removed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Any idea who wrote the UDF or where I would find it?

Current Projects:Remote Administration Suite Updated! 12-20-07Remote User State Migration Tool (Plugin) Updated! 12-20-07Batch Print Wizard Updated! 12-20-07Links:AutoIt Beta | AutoIt Wiki

The plan was to check:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

And for disabled items to be removed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Any idea who wrote the UDF or where I would find it?

sorry i didn't have a specific UDF in mind, i'd just think it a safe bet that SOMEONE has done that one before. search the scripts and scraps forum for 'startup' you'll probably find something.

sorry i didn't have a specific UDF in mind, i'd just think it a safe bet that SOMEONE has done that one before. search the scripts and scraps forum for 'startup' you'll probably find something.

I'm in the process of sifting through that now... Thanks for all of your help!

If someone has other ideas, or that UDF, please dont hesitate to post :P

• 11 years later...
Another way to achieve this is to use WMI Query, PowerShell script or wmic tool.

PowerShell is really powerful. You can use it to query startup programs from all remote computers in your domain, filter and sort list of startup programs.

For example, this is how you can get list of all startup programs in your AD domain:
Get-ADComputer -Filter {OperatingSystem -Like “Windows 10*”} | ForEach-Object {Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_StartupCommand -Computer $_.Name}

• Moderators

@PeterBarnett did you notice this thread is just shy of 12 years old?! Or that the OP has not been active for almost 8? Please do not resurrect old threads, especially when the "solution" you suggest has nothing to do with the language of the forum.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!