Using AutoIt as a hotkey manager?

Hello,

I used to use HotkeyControl XP to make little useful hotkeys for myself, i.e.

Windows Key + W: opens WWW browser

Windows Key + N: opens Notepad

Windows Key + X: opens MS Excel

etc.

HotKeyControl XP also has a neat little hotkey that pops up a BMP file, so you can easily look at a "cheat sheet" as needed, e.g. what was that hotkey combination for opening MS Excel? or whatever needed frequent quick reference. I think it was meant to pop-up over a full-screen game.

Anyways, I like HotKeyControl XP, but I wanted to do some fancier functions other than simply opening programs. I was considering making HotKeyControl XP to run AutoIt executables to do this.

However, things are easier to just use AutoIt alone. So I have made the HotKeySet/_IsPressed program While...WEnd loop as indicated in the help file, using ESC and PAUSE buttons to get into or out of the program as needed, using Sleep(10) to keep this HotKey program from taking over my computer, etc. Things work great.

Here is my question: what do all of you use for your hotkey needs? Do the majority of people have ongoing, permanent AutoIt scripts running in the background all the time? Do you use the While...Sleep(10)...WEnd format, or another strategy? Is this basically the same strategy that HotKeyControl XP or WinKey or other hotkey managers are doing?

I'm just looking to learn from some insights from other people. Thanks very much,

hi attached is a screenshot of a toolwindow program i wrote. its not exactly what your talking about but uses the while loop. i have this running whenever i'm on line. the pause button will rollup/unroll the window. if interested i will provide more info

phil

Oxin8:

thanks, sounds like we have the same basic scheme going for hotkeys.

pecloe:

yes, I am interested if you'd like to share! Your toolwindow with the rollup-down feature sure looks nifty for its intended uses. Actually one thing I am doing these days is trying out KnoppMyth (MythTV) DVR, but instead of a wireless keyboard or remote control to control the DVR, I use VNCViewer on my laptop to send "keystroke commands." Unfortunately, I am constantly forgetting which key does what and I have to consult my cheat sheet. I am envisioning your toolwindow as a virtual remote control button pad that can be easily rolled up-down as needed.

I use a program that I wrote, along with an AutoIt script for hotkey management.

Posted Image

When you click the big button in the middle, my program writes a script called actions.au3 (included by the main script) which contains functions that tell the main script what to do when keys are pressed, certain windows are activated, etc. Then it tells the main script to restart, so your changes are saved.

Hi,

I´m looking for a Function to set a Hotkey by Pressing the "Hotkey" within a Script.

Is your Script able to do this ?

"Please press your new HOTKEY"....

The HOTKEY you have pressed was ....

regards

Wolke