NTBackup woes

PsaltyDS

So I'm trying to script some NTBackup on my servers... every step of the way has been surprisingly painfull.

:o

If you are not going to use COM objects then, you are working with NTBackup.exe, RSM.exe, SchTask.exe.

My biggest complaint is lack of documentation, but I thought someone here might know where to find it. NTBackup is kicking out non-zero exit codes no matter what actually happened on the backup. The latest are 31 and 45. When I started looking for a list of NTBackup exit codes, I find KB260327 which says:

The Backup tool (Ntbackup.exe) may not return correct program exit codes.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products...

This KB article dates from the year 2003, and has only been updated to reflect that Windows 2003 has the same problem. It would appear Microsoft has no intention of fixing it. But I can't find a list of exit codes for NTBackup, funky as they may be, either.

What do y'all use to check the status of NTBackup and determine if it worked or not?

:geek:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

...listens to crickets chirpping... :o

What, you guys don't do backups? :geek:

not w/ defective tools ;)

As the man says, GarbageIn-GarbageOut. You've got a bit of a row to hoe (as you're finding) if you want production quality backups out of ntbackup. The only thing I use NTbackup for is if I need to grab a quick

copy of SystemState Info --

For scheduled jobs, you will likely need srvany at some point , there are a plethora of issues, perhaps someone somewhere has detailed his pain on his blog, but most of us give up and use a "real" tool, or block the memory of the pain from our heads.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

determine what happened

To be more helpful, while the ExitCodes are crap, the log files approach reality... You may want to parse those for warnings and errors, and then branch based on your results.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

not w/ defective tools ;)

As the man says, GarbageIn-GarbageOut. You've got a bit of a row to hoe (as you're finding) if you want production quality backups out of ntbackup. The only thing I use NTbackup for is if I need to grab a quick

copy of SystemState Info --

:o I'm with you %100 there! :geek:

The decision wasn't mine. Other systems here have BackupExec on them. For some reason the managers of this project decided against it. They want to schedule a backup with NTBackup, and I have to script it... that's the job. It's good for me anyway. I've already learned (with some excellent help from this board) to script some WMI Objects to get the exact device name of the tape drive, some relevent GUIDs, etc. When (and if) the code isn't too embarassing for daylight, I'll post what I've got so far...

:sorcerer:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law