WinGrep

WFC

I have been using a AutoIt utility I wrote to use GNU Grep to search a file or folder for text from Explorer. After installing Grep and putting a shortcut to WinGrep in your "Send To" folder, you can browse to a file or folder in Explorer, right click on it and select "Send To" WinGrep. WinGrep will open, enter your search term and Grep options, chose to sort or not sort the results and either click the search button or hit enter in the search window and the results are displayed in the program you have associated with a .txt file. I use it often when doing AutoIt programming and thought perhaps others might like to have it. The attached .ZIP file has WinGrep.au3 and WinGrep.txt included. The txt file gives an overview and installation instructions.

You can find GNU Grep somewhere on the http://www.gnu.org/ pages. I just spent about 30 minutes searching for it and trying to find the windows installable version. They don't make it easy! For one thing they are windows haters. I finally just downloaded the latest .tar.gz file to see if it was the windows version. If this is the format you get it in you will also need gzip and tar. I was able to extract with gzip but was not able to un-tar it. When I ran tar -x filename, it just sat there looking stupid and doing nothing so I had to ^C it. I was able to do it one time because I have grep installed but guess I am losing it in my old age! Perhaps someone can get it and install it and add the instructions to this topic. I would like to know why tar doesn't work for me.

I made it a .ZIP file to package the .AU3 and .TXT file together. I don't click on .AU3 or any other executable file! Improvements, comments, suggestions welcome.

Enjoy and all the best to you.

WFC

WINGREP.ZIP

Hi,

So why not use an AutoIt script?;

Script/Text - search

You can sort, add to it or whatever [not my script; @Valuater?]; as I have done later..

But you can use it without finding/ installing anything else.

Best, randall

Hi,

So why not use an AutoIt script?;

Script/Text - search

You can sort, add to it or whatever [not my script; @Valuater?]; as I have done later..

But you can use it without finding/ installing anything else.

Best, randall

Hi Randall. I already had grep on my system when I wrote it so didn't have to go looking for it. It was a quick and dirty way to do the search. I did not know Valuater's script existed. Although I had seen it I hadn't paid attention to it. WinGrep is a subset of another program I wrote to search genealogy records on my system. Some of those files are huge, one is 19 megs and I am sure grep is faster than any AutoIt script. WinGrep is always with me as I browse and I use it a lot. I don't have to go searching for it to load it but then I do have to load Explorer. The grep functions could be done in AutoIt as Valuater's has proven. Now you have a choice!

Best,

WFC