Tray Icons Don't Disappear

• Developers

I think that Jon added the delay (750 msec isn't it ?) to make the version 3 of AutoIt,

less popular for making hostile scripts...

I guess..

The AutoIt3 program currently just starts with the trayicon on.

Then when and hits an Opt("TrayIconHide", 1) statement it will hide it.

Thats why you see it come-up briefly.

Clear icon is a nice alternative, although i would think your systray will become bigger to show the transparent icon.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

True, so hack attack still is thwarted, but it is an easy workaround.

There is a fine line, since the mad house of spyware/addware and extra crap people put on thier computer, a novice will be looking at thier taskbar to see if any extra programs are slowing them down.

I might put an icon like the network OS, and tell them that that is the logon scripts running, or make it a printer icon if they use network printers.

The source is available if you really need to remove it. Better this way than to have all the virus scanners flag the program in the future.

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

yeah, I'm using autoit a good deal for automating installs at the user's request, so I usually just choose a standard setup type icon...

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

Kitty, you're a beast, great idea! I tried that, I think that will be a lot less alarming, although I still would like the capability to have no icon all together. I definitely do not want any antivirus companies flagging AutoIt as malicious, because it's extremely useful. Any other bright ideas?

• Developers

True, so hack attack still is thwarted, but it is an easy workaround.

There is a fine line, since the mad house of spyware/addware and extra crap people put on thier computer, a novice will be looking at thier taskbar to see if any extra programs are slowing them down.

I might put an icon like the network OS, and tell them that that is the logon scripts running, or make it a printer icon if they use network printers.

The source is available if you really need to remove it. Better this way than to have all the virus scanners flag the program in the future.

Can anybody confirm that the initial icon is for the purpose like scriptkitty indicates ? Or is it something that wasn't looked at when the Opt("TrayIconHide", 1) was added ?

I have tested with a preprocesssor statement and works fine ... its just a few lines of code to add in AutoIt3...

EDIT: didn't look at aut2exe

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I believe Jon was the one who allowed the option to hide the icon as long as it initially poped up for half a second. It was placed there on purpose, hiding the icon completely is quite easy as an option (see AutoIt2.)

AutoIt was clasified as a class B virus at one time? Well anyway I like keeping autoit doing what it was designed for.

ya know, isn't that like calling c++ a virus? Just because someone can write malicious code with an app doesn't mean the app's the virus.

Yea, folks can write evil code in Bat files as well. :huh2:

I agree with ya there. Things like this were in the discussion on alowing to hide the tray icon or not. To be honest, you can use autoit v2 to write some very destructive code and hide the icon. The quick flash of the icon right now does little to stop :D use as it is.

I will not get in to a discussion on having the .5 sec icon flash or not as I am not the one who makes decisions on the matter, but I love this program, and support the current state of the option.

It is quite easy to remove the icon completely if you are a programer, you could just make your own compiled version.

I was just trying to shed some light on why it is like it is. The flash is not a bug.

I'll add my 2 cents.

Our office politics dictate that NetMeeting is launched on login. I did not want to have it eating 4m memory all day when I rarely use it. I added a pskill to my startup folder. So far, so good. I do notice that the NetMeeting icon will hang around until I mouse over the system tray. The OS is not busy either. :D

• Administrators

ya know, isn't that like calling c++ a virus?  Just because someone can write malicious code with an app doesn't mean the app's the virus.

That's what I told the people who sent me death threats :D

• Developers

I'll add my 2 cents.

Our office politics dictate that NetMeeting is launched on login.  I did not want to have it eating 4m memory all day when I rarely use it.  I added a pskill to my startup folder.  So far, so good.  I do notice that the NetMeeting icon will hang around until I mouse over the system tray.  The OS is not busy either. :D

Thats normal behaviour. ( Like Valik stated in his post )

Normally, a program does a call to remove the SysTrayIcon before it ends.

Whenever a program crashes, the systray icon will stay until you hover over it.

pskill just KILLS the program, maybe a WinClose would work as well, which asks the application to close in a normal way......

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Administrators

Can anybody confirm that the initial icon is for the purpose like scriptkitty indicates ? Or is it something that wasn't looked at when the Opt("TrayIconHide", 1) was added ?

It was on purpose.

Same as when the "single hotkeys" feature was removed. When AutoIt gets classed as a virus (again) I want to be able to respond that without re-coding (however small) that it is not a keylogger/trojan.

The icon thing is just a brief flash to let an unsuspecting user know that "something" just loaded, you can still disable the menu so the user can't disable the script (corporate environment etc). I still see nothing to convince me that an icon popping up for half a second is a problem for any legitimate use.

Convince me otherwise. :D

Edited by Jon

It was on purpose.

Same as when the "single hotkeys" feature was removed.  When AutoIt gets classed as a virus (again) I want to be able to respond that without re-coding (however small) that it is not a keylogger/trojan.

The icon thing is just a brief flash to let an unsuspecting user know that "something" just loaded,  you can still disable the menu so the user can't disable the script (corporate environment etc).  I still see nothing to convince me that an icon popping up for half a second is a problem for any legitimate use. 

Convince me otherwise. :D

I think it's great to have the ability to hide the trayicon.

That it's showing for a second, is absolutely no problem for me.

AutoIt is perfect how it is now.

Edited by SlimShady

Jon & others, I'm the biggest AutoIt fan I've ever met personally, hehe. I'm not complaining about the icon, just that it's getting left over on some of my clients' PCs. I have implemented ScriptKitty's idea of using a blank icon. I just don't want my users crying because they have a bunch of A's stacking in their tray. I did use the HideTrayIcon option, and the icon stays there until they mouse over it. This is not with everyone, only a few. If I had the tools & knowhow to remove the icon, I would do it myself, since you are kind enough to make AutoIt an open source ubertool, but I don't, unfortunately.

• Administrators

Jon & others, I'm the biggest AutoIt fan I've ever met personally, hehe.  I'm not complaining about the icon, just that it's getting left over on some of my clients' PCs.  I have implemented ScriptKitty's idea of using a blank icon.  I just don't want my users crying because they have a bunch of A's stacking in their tray.  I did use the HideTrayIcon option, and the icon stays there until they mouse over it.  This is not with everyone, only a few.  If I had the tools & knowhow to remove the icon, I would do it myself, since you are kind enough to make AutoIt an open source ubertool, but I don't, unfortunately.

Then that is a bug and nothing to do with the option of hiding. Send details of how to reproduce it and I'll fix it.

I've never had the tray icon hang around even with tiny scripts, so it must be the nature of what you are doing. You aren't killing the compiled script process are you? That would leave an icon, but naturally closing scripts should not.

Edited by Jon

I think that's a windows bug, since autoit's not the only app that does that to me. lots of them do it. clear.ico all the way!

(oh, and ditto on "I'm the biggest AutoIt fan I've ever met personally, hehe")