Winpe And Fileinstall

In four years of using this program I have never had a problem until now. I've been writing some scripts to be run under WinPE (not BartPE) and I've found that the FileInstall function does not work at all. It doesn't error out or anything, just doesn't work. The most recent version I could get it to work with was 3.0.101, anything after that fails including the betas. Perhaps Im just expecting too much?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this...

Glowshi

Even a simple one line script like this

FileInstall ( "test.txt", "C:\Test.txt" )

If I compile it with 3.0.101 or earlier the file shows up where it should. Anything after that and the file won't show up. Im thinking it might just be my company's version of WinPE missing something. Do later versions of FileInstall require different system files than earlier ones?

• 1 year later...

I finally got around to figuring this out after reading some other posts dealing with FileInstall. In Microsofts WinPE prior to Vista there is no TEMP environment variable set by default. When FileInstall works it seems to write the file to the %TEMP% directory first and it will fail if %TEMP% doesn't exist or isn't writable. After much pulling my hair out I sit here and wonder why it doesn't just write the file to the directory specified in the FileInstall command rather than relying on the existence of temp directories. If anyone knows Id be interested in the reasoning.

I don't know what I'd do without these amazing forums.