Protect my exe?

I have seen on other sites where people run programs to unpack auto-it executables back down to source code. Is it possible to prevent this? I don't know about this stuff but is UPX the only way to compress the .exe??

I tried compiling a script w/o UPX compression then ran the Yoda Project UPX packer, it is supposed to add some extra security to your .exe. It compressed fine but the .exe would no longer run.

just curious if anyone else out there has tried something but had success. :)

When a script is compiled by Autoit it's automatically compressed using a UPX compressor, this is a standard part of the .exe creation process. If it didn't, the .exe would be somewhere around 700KB. For the most part, your script is safe, but there are always people out there willing to go the extra mile and spend 3 hours looking for stuff with a decompiler.

So, in reality your script is protected for the most part from most users. Only computer programming gurus will be able to get your code, not that they would really be interested in it because they can write something much better.

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

"because they can write something much better"

if only that was true , some programs i've seen are far more efficient and smaller created with AutoIt.

Who needs puzzles when we have AutoIt!!