Can't run executables unless autoit is installed

I have created a script that simply runs an executable (exe.exe) that resides on the network....(ie. \\network\folder\).

i compile the script into an executable (ie. instead of script.au3 it is script.exe) so i assume that the executable could be run by any host on the network.

I found that when i run the script.exe from any machine apart from the one i created the script on, it cannot find the exe.exe on the network and the following error message is displayed:

Run("exe.exe","\\network\folder")

Error: Unable to execute the external program.

The system cannot find the file specified.

The funny thing is that if i do the same thing on my computer it runs fine!!!????

Has anyone ever seen this???? im dying here

• Administrators

It would normally work with a local drive but I think that setting a UNC directory as the working directory doesn't work on all OSes (I'm sure it doesn't work under 9x, can't remember about the rest).

This is in the help file:

Run ( "filename" [, "workingdir" [, flag]] )

Parameters

filename The name of the executable (EXE, BAT, COM, or PIF) to run.

workingdir [optional] The working directory.

flag [optional] The "show" flag of the executed program:

@SW_HIDE = Hidden window

@SW_MINIMIZE = Minimized window

@SW_MAXIMIZE = Maximized window

You think it is obvious that "filename" should be "\\network\folder\exe.exe" rather than just "exe.exe" when the "workingdir" ("\\network\folder") specifys it aswell?? i dont. Whats the use of having "workingdir" when you have to specify the full location of the filename anyway? or dont u understand?

Actually I always understand that the filename is the full name of the .exe (.bat, .com...) with also the full path. The working dir is where you want the program starts...

E.g.

Run('c:\winnt\cmd.exe /c dir>c:\list.txt',"c:\this is an\example")

Will make the command DIR in the "c:\this is an\example" copying the results in c:\list.txt

Run('c:\winnt\cmd.exe /c dir>c:\list.txt',"c:\winnt")

As you can see the filename is exatly the same, but changing the dir the output is different.

Lots of programs, GUI based overall, ignore the starting dir (that often is omitted with a "" tag). But it may be useful in command line program.

Just to know, did you ever made a .pif or .lnk file?