First time user of AutoIt

Guest Ted

Hi all,

I'm new to this website and AutoIt software. I have a few questions about AutoIt.

I have recently started working as a software tester in the telecoms industry. I have no experience of software testing or scripting!! I have being asked to look at software which could be used to automate the testing of customised GUI's. Is AutoIt a possible solution to this problem?? Does AutoIt generate logs that can be examined to determine possible bugs etc??

Finally what scripting language should I learn if I was to use AutoIt?

Thanks in advance,

Ted.

I have being asked to look at software which could be used to automate the testing of customised GUI's. Is AutoIt a possible solution to this problem??

AutoIt can interact with many Windows API objects, including GUI's, windows, text fields, and more. With version 3 you are now able to directally interact with objects in windows without needing to give that window focus. In addition, you can interact directally with these objects, which means you often do not need to get a mouse position to click on it.

You can also create your own GUI with buttons, checkboxes, pictures, and more.

Does AutoIt generate logs that can be examined to determine possible bugs etc??

Currently, I do not believe AutoIt supports debug logs, although that is being discussed. You can, however, put lines in your code to display various values in a message box, or export them to a file for later viewing (and potential debugging.)

Finally what scripting language should I learn if I was to use AutoIt?

You don't need to learn any language to use AutoIt since you can run au3 (the AutoIt extension) scripts, as well as compile these scripts into stand-alone Windows executable files. You can use AutoIt with other languages though, and this functionality is called AutoItX3. As the manual says:

There will also be updates to the ActiveX and DLL versions of AutoIt called AutoItX3 - unlike v2 this will be a combined control (COM and standard DLL functions in the same DLL).  AutoItX3 will allow you to add the unique features of AutoIt to your own favourite scripting or programming languages! (AutoItX3 is currently in beta, the files can be downloaded here).

Edited to add in GUI creation info

Edited by pekster

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

Thanks very much for that pekster. Just to clarify a little more, the GUI app that I'm testing is non-microsoft... its built in house. I don't have access to the source code and its developed in Java. If autoit isn't the solution to my problem can you recommend any other software???

... and its developed in Java.

I do know that AutoIt cannot directally interact with Java controls, but this may not be a problem. Just because you can't send a click to a specific control does not mean that AutoIt will be unable to automate clicks and other keystrokes. However, you would need to use the pixel coordinates of the window. For example, if you had a button at 100 pixles into the window and 50 down from the top, you could use the ControlClick("My Java Application Window", "", 100, 50) command to send a click to that position in the window. The nifty thing about AutoIt is that a "Control Click" will send a click, or even text (with the ControlSend() function) to the window without the window needing to be active.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

You should probably do a search for automated testing tools. Visit QAForumns and review the industry standard tools from such companies as Mercury-Interactive, and IBM Rational to name a couple. Be prepared for sticker shock as these tools run in the neighborhood of 5K and up per seat. If your company is serious about testing they will need to invest in the correct tools. :D

I have been spending the last month writing an 80 program testing script for a new position also. Two of those programs are dialup apps. One is a customized version of Fiberlink and the other is a customized version of the old IBM Global Dialer. I have not had many problems with the script writing and everyone here is always a great help if you run into problems.

So far I am creating a log file to verify that a test is successfull or failed. It has a status bar to show where in the test it is on a line by line basis. it also takes a screen shot after each program test is completed, or if the test fails it will do a screen shot so I have a log file that says successful or Failed, if anything says Failed I just check the Screen shots to see what the error was. Look here for the printscreen app Gadwin

Also I am using a little GUI interface that was created by someone on the forms... (Lary I think) where I can simply check off the programs I want to test.

As for other testing applications, My company purchased Quick Test Pro which was absolutly outragious $$$ They use that for testing a financial app but I couldn't use it because It involves installing some OS and IE updates to run properly which would skew my testing. AutoIT is totally self contained once it's compiled so I can run it from CD without adding any additional variables to my testing.

Mike