USB x serial port - RS232

Anyone knows how to emulate serial port thru USB? There is an excelent topic from DaleHohm about serial port usage in http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19769.

I did a PIC Circuit that uses RS232 to send receive data, and used this topic at PC side, and everything is working OK. But now I need to do it thru (1) USB serial emulation, or (2) HID (Human Interface) USB protocol. If you have both solutions, much better :lmao:

Jose

Don't you just use a serial to USB converter cable? I think (thought) the "new" serial port would appear auto-magically as a serial port in Windows?

Uten, that's a good idea, but, if I could have a way to do it in AU3, I think it would be better, and will be a very good Tip on the forum, like the serial one from Dale. But if things start to become complex, by sure, I will go to your suggestion.

jose

• 2 months later...

Uten, that's a good idea, but, if I could have a way to do it in AU3, I think it would be better, and will be a very good Tip on the forum, like the serial one from Dale. But if things start to become complex, by sure, I will go to your suggestion.

jose

Like Uten says, a RS232 to USB adaptor is an easy way to do it., you just plug them in and you've got another COM port. There're very cheap (in my opinion) and then you can just use Autoit to communicate with the COM port.

Unless you mean you want to write a USB driver in Autoit, in which case I'm unable to advise.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.