Using FileInstall

Guest rgtaylor

Guest rgtaylor

Hello, I am VERY new to application. I am trying to learn how to use it. Yesterday I found my V2.5 installed it and had an install script for a patch done in just a couple hours. This includes shutting down appropriate windows 2000 server services and moving around .dlls and updating certain files and cleaning up the garbage, making back-ups of old files, and restarting services, etc. Today I downloaded the V3 and started trying to do it all over again....

I read the instructions on FileInstall, it seems that it should allow you to include a file in you compiled script and then place it in the destination directory once the application is run. I have a couple .bat files that I need to include with my patch, and was hoping to obfuscate them by having them loaded from within the application and then delete them when the process is complete. This would allow me to run the patch as a single file rather than several files.

Each time I tried I got a cryptic error saying it encountered and error while trying to add the file. I am hoping someone has some knoweledge about this function that can help me use it. :D

Thanks,

The file is not copied when the application is run, but when the fileinstall func is called.

The main problem you can have with file install is that the destination folder NEEDS the trailing " \" and it is easily forget.

Guest rgtaylor

Thanks,

I actually think I know what was going wrong. I downloaded the .zip so I didn't actually run an install script. So the compiler doesn't know where it is. it was having trouble finding the files being a relative path, so I moved the files to my C:\ root change the source path to absolute and comiled, and tested. It went fine. I did that just after posting, so I guess I shouldn't have given up so fast.

It is better this way that the way I was doing it before, either including the files and then having the script copy them to where they belong or having the script write the .bat files on the fly, which also works....but is likely slower.

Anyway, I am likeing this app so far. Yesterday, when I found the old V2.5 on my portable drive, I had downloaded it and conventiently forgotten it. I installed and played with it and was unhappy about the difficulty in creating variables. I was very happy to read the what V3 had improved....

Good merits from a new user.... :D

Thanks for the help.