How can I learn more about using COM to manipulate IE?

sigil

I'm trying to automate Internet Explorer at my job, but I can't install a version of AutoIt that has the IE.au3 functions built in. Our IT administrator changed permissions since I installed 3.1.1, and I can no longer install any software. Fortunately, 3.1.1 supports COM, but it looks like I'll have to build all my IE functions from scratch. 2 questions, then:

1. How do I find a given field on a web page and fill in that field with a variable's value?

2. How can I learn more about using COM to manipulate IE so that I won't crowd up the forum with COM-newbie questions?

I'm trying to automate Internet Explorer at my job, but I can't install a version of AutoIt that has the IE.au3 functions built in. Our IT administrator changed permissions since I installed 3.1.1, and I can no longer install any software. Fortunately, 3.1.1 supports COM, but it looks like I'll have to build all my IE functions from scratch. 2 questions, then:

1. How do I find a given field on a web page and fill in that field with a variable's value?

2. How can I learn more about using COM to manipulate IE so that I won't crowd up the forum with COM-newbie questions?

Try to get Obj reference in help. It contains info on this how to open IE on selected page. Or, search for ie.au3 on this forums, put it into c:\program files\autoit3 or whatever folder you install autoit into, open Include folder and then paste IE.au3 file in there. Just look for new help file on this forum, open it and there will you found instructions on that how to use IE.au3.

i542

I can do signature me.

• Moderators

Here you can find the latest version of AutoIt in zip format. It doesn't require an install, and IE.au3 is included. Once you have that look in the help file and you will see several _IE* functions. Experiment with the examples within those functions until you have a basic understanding. Then come back with any questions you may have.

Edited by big_daddy

Here you can find the latest version of AutoIt in zip format. It doesn't require an install, and IE.au3 is included. Once you have that look in the help file and you will see several _IE* functions. Experiment with the examples within those functions until you have a basic understanding. Then come back with any questions you may have.

I can't unzip that file, because my administrator has disabled use of Winzip at this workstation. I'm going to keep studying the 3.1.1 beta files on COM, and the MSDN pages on IE, and hopefully come up with a workaround that way.

I can't unzip that file, because my administrator has disabled use of Winzip at this workstation. I'm going to keep studying the 3.1.1 beta files on COM, and the MSDN pages on IE, and hopefully come up with a workaround that way.

You can find a text version of IE.au3 here it should work with 3.2.2.0 - if there are any issues, you'll have the source and can code around them.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble