Using Autoit To Grab Text

The program I am trying to automate, needs to extract text out of select boxes in a window.

Can this be done with AutoIT? If so, which functions do I need?

I noticed there are functions to grab titles and specific text... but how do I extract text when I do not know what the text will be. That is, one of the boxesin the window will display temperature, but I do not know until I run the program, what the temperature will be at that instant. Can autoIT do this?

Thanks in Advance.

-g

Hmm, I'd need to know more to be more of a help. But generally speaking: AutoIt does not perform OCR. So if these select boxes are made in Java or something, you're unlikely to be able to read them as you would a control. Which brings me to WinGetHandle which may be of use to you.

Although, I'm not an AutoIt guru and I don't really understand what you're trying to do. If you could be a bit more specific I might be able to help you.

Raoul S. Duke: Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

run au3_spy and hover the mouse over the text, with the program in the foreground (active). What does the "Last Control Under Mouse" read in the AU3_Spy (AutoIt Window Spy) window. Use ControlGetText on thet Control Reference...

$a = ControlGetText("Title of WIndow","","Edit2")

MsgBox(4096,"",$a)

Lar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And FYI, you will never go wrong if you listen to Larry!

Larry = AutoIt :ph34r:

Raoul S. Duke: Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.