Arrays & Variables... ugh...

Hey guys, I've been bashing my head against the wall for the past couple of hours, but apparently I can't seem to figure out arrays and variables for this instance even though I've written a few working scripts/programs (though bashing my head on the wall probably isn't helping... lol).

Anywho... I"m trying to read a file layout like such

overspeed=80
scrollmode=1
builtinvideo=true
disableinternat=true
locale=0
hidetaskbar=false
hidedesktop=false
radiomode=0
radioline=0
lazytag=false
allowallfreqs=false
browsertype=0

The lines change order constantly so I can't do a line count, to just jump to the setting and value I need to read/write from/to. Also not every file has the same settings, but do have the majority of the same. If anything some will have more. I will only edit the settings common to all the files.

I tried the readfile to array bit, which I'm able to do, but once it's in an array, I need to split each string/array (splitstring) at the "=" and have both the setting and value written to additional strings/arrays to be edited by a gui (got that part down)... with that part... I'm clueless apparently.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated so as to prevent further damage of my wall :whistle:

Cheers...

I don't understand, where a problem is.

Write your settings in an INI-file. All about this you'll find in autoit help.

I've used ini files quite a bit in the other scripts I've writtin, but this... It's not a standard INI file. There are no 'sections' and the lines change with each edit or use by the main program. The only thing that is consistent is "setting=value". The number of settings can also be different from system to system.

Unless... can you not have a section? .. lol I didn't try that. would it just be ""?

I've used ini files quite a bit in the other scripts I've written, but this... It's not a standard INI file. There are no 'sections' and the lines change with each edit or use by the main program. The only thing that is consistent is "setting=value". The number of settings can also be different from system to system.

Unless... can you not have a section? .. lol I didn't try that. would it just be ""?

Nope, that didn't work... but what if I had the script open the file, write in a 'section' name at the beginning of the file. that would make the script read everything as keys in an ini file and once I'm done and have written everything back, I can delete the section name from the file and close it out... good idea?

Edited by W3bMa5t3r

Anywho... I"m trying to read a file layout like such

overspeed=80
scrollmode=1
builtinvideo=true
Why not use _arraySearch? That returns the numeric location of the searched string. YOu then set your variable = the text in that location. To extract the values on either side of the "=" sign, just use any combination of the string functions (left, right, mid, trimleft, etc...) That way you don't have to write any files and I believe this would be faster than using ini files (2 or 3 microseconds?)...
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

• Moderators

I've used ini files quite a bit in the other scripts I've writtin, but this... It's not a standard INI file. There are no 'sections' and the lines change with each edit or use by the main program. The only thing that is consistent is "setting=value". The number of settings can also be different from system to system.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=301009

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thanks guys for the tips. Looks like I'm going with writing in the [everything] section, using in the info as a regular/real ini file and then writing the info back to the file, and deleting the first line which is the [everything] section line. :whistle:

Cheers

Edited by W3bMa5t3r