Desktop Webiste Filter

vaibhavs

Hi,

I am interested in developing an application using AutoIT which will intercept every outgoing request (from the desktop to internet) on Port 80, 443.

It will check if the site requested is listed in an ALLOW list.

If Yes, then let the request go by, else DENY the request.

Do you folks think this is possible ?

If yes, requesting for some point to start.

Thx

regards,

Vai

My Boss has asked mt to setup a system by which the staff members cannot access all and every website.

So I thought of creating an apps which will allow users to surf only a set predfined list of website and block others.

I can setup a list of websites on MySQL.

The AutoIT apps will load this list into memory when started.

The apps will intercept every outbound request from a browser or otherwise and compare it against the list in memory.

If there is a regexp match, then allow the request to continue and let the user suft that website.

Else display some BLOCkEd content in the borwser.

Something on these lines.

Not sure if this is possible, but will be a good if I can work on it.

Thx

Vai

It should be possible.

However, it would not be the most efficient system. There are also several layers of completing such a task.

My best advice, would be to have your boss swing for a Proxy server setup (perhaps using something such as Microsoft ISA Server, which will enable you to allow access to specific sites)

If however, it is a small organisation, try this (as an idea):

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52313

Take that code, and have it read in an array of URLs from a .ini file, when you get the URL from the web browser, have it loop in an If statement, and whenever a URL does NOT equal an allowed website, close the IE window.

This has its inherent issues, however it should be easily manageable. Its also a quick and dirty solution.

Alternatively, look into forcing IE to only goto sites in the "Trusted Sites" Zone, i think this explains it (i did a little googling, didn't read it too thoroughly but it appears to be what i was looking for)

http://pericson.com/2007/09/make-web-brows...er-more-secure/