If statement not working

I have this code:

If Not @DesktopHeight = "600" and not @DesktopWidth = "800" Then
   MsgBox(0, "Error", "Please set your desktop height to 600 and your desktop width to 800. Then restart the program")
   Exit
EndIf

I tried setting my desktop width and height to 768x1024 but the msgbox doesn't execute and the program continues to run. Please help me.

My site for HTML Help :)[quote name='Valik' date='Oct 15 2004, 12:29 PM']Maybe nobody is an "elite uber-coder" like me because thinking is a capital offense in today's online-world?[right][snapback]36427[/snapback][/right][/quote]

Maybe this will help:

If Not( (@DesktopHeight = "600") and (@DesktopWidth = "800") ) Then
  MsgBox(0, "Error", "Please set your desktop height to 600 and your desktop width to 800. Then restart the program")
  Exit
EndIf

*** Matt @ MPCS

EDIT: Larry is quick today

Edited by Matt @ MPCS

try this:

tooltip(@DesktopHeight&"x"&@DesktopWidth,0,0)
If @DesktopHeight<>600 and @DesktopWidth<>800 Then
  MsgBox(1, "Error", "Please set your desktop height to 600 and your desktop width to 800. Then restart the program")
  Exit
EndIf
sleep(1000)

I like the tooltip and sleep to show what yours is for debug.

Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

:) Beware of AND-ing negative expressions .. ie <>, or "not equal"

Matt's suggestion will give the desired results ..

.. But to simplify it by using negative expressions, you need to change AND to OR ;) . So this is not equivalent:

But this will give you the same results:

If @DesktopHeight<>600 or @DesktopWidth<>800 Then

Hope this helps

:)

@trids, You have a good point but I don't know if your example is valid. When reading the first example:

Logically it reads:

If the desktop height is less than or greater than 600 AND the desktop width is less than or greater than 800 then <execute following code>

That says that both the height and width cannot be equal to 600 or 800 respectivly.

While your second example reads:

If @DesktopHeight<>600 or @DesktopWidth<>800 Then

Logically it reads:

If the desktop height is less than or greater than 600 OR the desktop width is less than or greater than 800 then <execute following code>

Which means that if either the width=800 or the height=600 the code will be executed.

Technically I believe you are incorrect in your statement, the correct comparison would require that both the height and width not equal their respective values, therefore the correct code would be:

Of course in this situation it makes absolutly no difference which is used because we are working with monitor resolution that would always have a width of 800 if the height is 600 (true only when using standard video cards).

I apologize if I am incorrect here but this logic makes sense to me that is why I am posting this correction.

*** Matt @ MPCS

ADDITION: This proves Larry's solution correct also.

Edited by Matt @ MPCS

Try the following example if you don't believe me:

If 1<>1 And 1<>2 Then
   MsgBox(0,"","Exp[b][/b]ression is true")
EndIf

Result: No MsgBox Shown

If 1<>1 Or 1<>2 Then
EndIf

Result: MsgBox Shown

*** Matt @ MPCS

I stand corrected... I failed to dumb down my approach:

You are absolutly correct. Examples:

If Not((1=1) Or (1=2)) Then
EndIf

Result: No messagebox shown

If Not((1=1) And (1=2)) Then
EndIf

Result: Messagebox shown

Addition: This proves Larry's answer to be better than mine though:

If @DesktopHeight <> 600 And @DesktopWidth <> 800 Then

*** Matt @ MPCS

Edited by Matt @ MPCS

Of course in this situation it makes absolutly no difference which is used because we are working with monitor resolution that would always have a width of 800 if the height is 600 (true only when using standard video cards).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.. that's true, but your orginal code is a closer match with the intruction to the user "Please set your desktop height to 600 and your desktop width to 800. Then restart the program".

Bottom line is: you want the screen to be at 600 x 800 .. and if it's not, then send the message.

=> In other words: if there is anything wrong with the resolution, send the message.

=> In other words: if height is wrong OR width is wrong, send the message.

=> In other words: If @DesktopHeight<>600 OR @DesktopWidth<>800, send the message.

I'm not basing my position on video cards, but on pure Boolean logic. And the only reason I mentioned you at all is that yours was correct .. other than that, it makes no difference to me whose solution is correct or wrong

:)

I'm not basing my position on video cards, but on pure Boolean logic. And the only reason I mentioned you at all is that yours was correct .. other than that, it makes no difference to me whose solution is correct or wrong

I know that, I was just trying to prove to myself that I could still think through boolean logic logically and failed miserably. Thanks for your compliment, but my code is actually incorrect... Larry's is better.

*** Matt @ MPCS