How secure is a compiled/built script?

blanter

I have a question I couldn't find in the forums answered. How secure is a password in a script once it has been compiled or built?

I have a script which resets the local administrator password on a workgroup computer. The script obviously has the administrator password inside the .au3 file, but when it is compiled or built to an .exe is it safe or secure?

• Developers

Technical Details

The compiled script and additional files added with FileInstall are compressed with my own (Jon) compression scheme.

Because a compiled script must "run" itself without a password it needs to be able to decrypt itself - i.e., the encryption is two-way. For this reason you should regard the compiled exe as being encoded rather than completely safe. For example, if I wrote a script that contained a username and password (say, for a desktop rollout) then I would be happy using something like a workstation-level user/password but I would not consider it safe for a domain/entire network password unless I was sure that the end-user would not have easy access to the .exe file.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 5 months later...
  • Developers

Wonder who made that .. :)

... but don't you think its a bit of an old thread you just resurrected ? :)

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

i think there is no way to make your script safe from being cracked or reversed engineering.

Anything has been proven to be "crackable" till now, often the same day the software is released.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

There is a way of starting Aut2Exe from the command prompt (I'm not sure if its really in the command prompt) and you can put a password/passphrase in your script.

Another thing: The decompiler with AutoIt3 (Exe2Aut) only works with scripts compiled with version 3.2.5.1 and below. But I am not sure that it is the only AutoIt decompiler in the world.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

[center]It's a question of mind over matter, if I don't mind, it doesn't matter.[/center]