compare a variable to a string

HI to everybody..I'm new in this forum,my nick is 4got, I'm not english so please forgave me if in my post you find some errors...By the way I have a problem when I compare a variable and a string.This is the code:

$Data = TCPReceive($ConnectedSocket) ;move the mesage in the variable $Data

$compare=StringCompare($Data,"start",0) ;compare the string with the mesage

If $compare=0 Then ;condition

MsgBox(0,"Message","The message is start")

ElseIf

$Data >=0 then

MsgBox(0, "Message", $Data)

EndIf

If someone could help me... thx

This has to be on one line:

ElseIf

$Data >=0 then

ElseIf $Data >=0 then

It still doesn't work.. It always executes the second if

ElseIf $Data >=0 then

EndIf

I need that this program recognizes the command that I send. E.G if I send the command start the program will execute a certain operation and if I send another command it will do another operation..

I hope to be clear..

It still doesn't work.. It always executes the second if

ElseIf $Data >=0 then

EndIf

I need that this program recognizes the command that I send. E.G if I send the command start the program will execute a certain operation and if I send another command it will do another operation..

I hope to be clear..

What does the MsgBox display for the string $Data?
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

If $Data = "start" Then

If I write "start" the MsgBox display "start".The compare doesn't work but the string is correct.

Can't see why there is a problem. See what happens if you try this then

$Data = TCPReceive($ConnectedSocket);move the mesage in the variable $Data
$compare=StringInStr($Data,"start",0);test the string is in the message
If $compare>0 Then;condition
   MsgBox(0,"Message","The message is start")
ElseIf
   $Data >=0 then
EndIf
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Now the program works but I have other 2 problems:

-if I want to use a switch case can I put a string instead of a value?

switch($Data)
     case "start"

I tried this way but it didn't work..How can I do?

-if I don't wanna see the icon of the autoit application when it runs in the application bar of windows what I have to do?

Thx a lot to everybody who has answered to this post.

• Developers

should work fine ... what is the exact content of the variable $data ?

Application bar ? do you mean systemtray ? (#NoTrayIcon)

:)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

should work fine ... what is the exact content of the variable $data ?

Application bar ? do you mean systemtray ? (#NoTrayIcon)

In the variable $Data I put the message that is sent by means of the client program, in this case I've tried with the message "start" but it didn't work...

Yes the systemtray...sorry...

Now the program works but I have other 2 problems:

-if I want to use a switch case can I put a string instead of a value?

switch($Data)
     case "start"

I tried this way but it didn't work..How can I do?

-if I don't wanna see the icon of the autoit application when it runs in the application bar of windows what I have to do?

It shouldn't work based on what you found earlier because your original problem was that $Data was not equal to "start" for some reason and this was cured by using

$compare=StringInStr($Data,"start",0);possibly some whitespace character in $Data

It would probably have been better to find out what was in $data that was causing the problem and strip it out, try using $Data = StringStripWS($Data,8).

Failing that, instead of switch use Select-

Select
 Case StringInStr($Data,"start",0) > 0
  ;something

It shouldn't work based on what you found earlier because your original problem was that $Data was not equal to "start" for some reason and this was cured by using

$compare=StringInStr($Data,"start",0);possibly some whitespace character in $Data

It would probably have been better to find out what was in $data that was causing the problem and strip it out, try using $Data = StringStripWS($Data,8).

Failing that, instead of switch use Select-

Select
 Case StringInStr($Data,"start",0) > 0
 ;something
yes now it's perfect...when it will be complete I'll post it..thx to everybody