Ansi vs Unicode

Trend is tagging the Stub file for the encoder as a Worm. [autoit??.bin in the aut2exe folder] see http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyc...FKZ&VSect=T

I was just told by a friend that if i compile my scripts as ANSI there wont be any problems.

I have searched the fourms and online documentation regarding the difference between ANSI and Unicode but i could not find anything.

Can somebody explain the difference to me or direct me to a place when this is already listed. Im just curious if compiling my scripts with ANSI will cause other unwanted side effects.

Thanx for any help

Craig

I cannot explain the difference, but you might want to read here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34658

• AutoIt is packed with UPX. UPX is an open source software compression packer. It is used with many virii (to make them smaller).
You can disable the UPX packing via:

Start > Programs > AutoIt v3 > Compile Script to .exe

From the GUI menu bar, select Compression

If there is a check to the left of "UPX Compress .exe stub" remove it by selecting that option one time.

A one line script is about 250KB/510KB compressed/uncompressed for v3.2.10.0.

[using Unicode.]

Once you have turned compression off via that GUI, the "right-click" context menu within Windows File Explorer should use the no UPX compression setting as well.

The Trend link that you posted mentions:

This worm runs on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003.

If that worm had been written in AutoIt, it would be the ANSI version.

From the help file under Unicode Support:

The Unicode versions will allow our international friends to finally use AutoIt with extended characters and scripts!

Note: the Unicode version of AutoIt (AutoIt3.exe) and scripts compiled in Unicode mode will only run on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista and later machines. To allow scripts to run on Windows 9x scripts must be compiled using the ANSI compiler (Aut2ExeA.exe).

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]