TCP Commands

Drew

Alright what I'm trying to do is design a program that will communicate between a server-side client and a client-side client. I've come across the necessary commands , but I have NO IDEA how to organize them in the logical manner required. ( Aside from doing something such as TCPSTartup first. )

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this program yet. I'm REALLY considering making a game, which will be awesome. But I've had some requests on some other types of programs. And I have a few things I'd like to do. But overall, this would be a great learning experience. Could someone please point me in the right direction to help me get going?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Things I need to know:

Does the server-side program have to run as a service?

What do I have to do for the client side program to find the server side program so they can connect?

What forms of protection can I assume so that the programs access to the server program cannot be abused?

Edited by Drew

Firstly, TCP isn't all that hard when you know how :D

Does the server-side program have to run as a service?

No the server does not have to run as a service.

What do I have to do for the client side program to find the server side program so they can connect?

Use ports.

What forms of protection can I assume so that the programs access to the server program cannot be abused?

Try only allowing certain computer names or IPs to connect. Hey, why not even use a max amount of connections?

Take a look at AutoItSmiths TCP made easy, very useful. A quick search would probably help.

Edit: Added link

Edited by JamesB