Howto Send a Notification over Network

Hello,

I am writing a script that will be kicked off on windows startup to configure/update a computer after it has been re-imaged. what I want it to be able to do is send a message to my computer to let me know when it has been completed. the Net Send seemed perfect until I discovered it's disabled in XP SP-2 and even after enabiling the Messenger service it still wouldn't work. can anyone think of another way to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

You can make the patched computer to send a ini to a server with all patches done, then you make another script (on your computer) that checks all the ini files.

That way you can just enter computer name of any computer to see wich patches installed. Or make a complete list of wich patches installed on the network computers. Very admin friendly :idiot:

Just like i have it now

That way you can also keep a history on wich day, the patches was installed etc.

To make a breif explanation of my patch situation.

I created a GUI that is launched in the login script.

The user then got three times to say No, after that it will run automaticly (i can also set it to "Force to run date")

This is because some of my salerep sometimes use modem.

When they have pushed yes, it creates a ini file on the server.

And as i said above, i can keep track on every computer that has installed the latest patch.

Hope you can get some ideas from this :D

Were ever i lay my script is my home...

Hello,

I am writing a script that will be kicked off on windows startup to configure/update a computer after it has been re-imaged.  what I want it to be able to do is send a message to my computer to let me know when it has been completed.  the Net Send seemed perfect until I discovered it's disabled in XP SP-2 and even after enabiling the Messenger service it still wouldn't work.  can anyone think of another way to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just for ease of use I would use an email function there is an email UDF. I am also in process of making one, though it is using a third party program where as the one in Scripts and Scraps right now is made with AutoIt and Larry's DLL.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Doxie,

The INI file got me thinking for a while but I don't think it will work. I need something that will prompt me right away so I can start with the next one. Plus I will need to use only one INI file and that will cause overwrite issues because I could be re-Imageing 12 pc's at a time. Thanks for the thought though.

JS,

What is the name of the thread in Scripts and Scraps that you are talking about that uses the DLL. Will I need to register this DLL with the systems? If so I don't think I want to go through the process of getting that approved on our systems. The e-mail script that you are working on, does that use a self contained exe that does not need to be registered with windows? if so that may be my best bet.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by MikeOsdx

Function _SendSMTPMail() is the one that was created. I dont think you have to register the DLL.

As far as the one I am working on yes. It will be completely self contained using bmail.exe. There are several 'command' line email programs, but I like the features included in bmail.

I will get it finished as soon as I can for you.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)