Has anyone been able to AutoIT press a Vista UAC Continue button?

Title/Description pretty much says it...

Has anyone been able to control the Vista, "User Account Control" window and press the continue button? I can't seem to find it nor activate with WinExists/WinActivate.

Thanks in advance for any help,

B

If an application could just "skip" UAC by pressing continue, then there would be no use of having UAC enabled, would there? :)

I'm sure microsoft have made sure that you can not automate UAC.

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

• Administrators

Actually you can. But only with a signed application within Program Files AND that has a special entry in the manifest file. Even then it can be turned off by group policy - so not very practical :)

Edit: Oh, and there is also a group policy to turn off secure desktop (the gray screen) which makes UAC appear on the normal desktop which can be interacted with.

So,

Actually, you can somewhat by-pass the screen graying out thing. Apparently, Vista has two "sessions" and will actually screen shot the current session, gray it out, disable it, and open another with your UAC pop-up. It disables everything in the background.

If your job happens to be testing an application where you need UAC functionality, you can prevent this "graying out" by regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

Right-click in the right-hand pane and create a new 32-bit DWORD value called PromptOnSecureDesktop, setting the value to 0.

This still leaves the case of "untrusted" app. Elevate doesn't seem to work. I believe the key at this point is setting up a certificate for your compiled AutoIt code. I made an attempt at that, but unfortunately didn't seem to take (didn't go to Vista store). Will still play with it but may be forced to move on.

Thanks to those who replied!

Bill