AutoItX3.dll - New Version beaks old code!

I have been using AutoItX3.dll in some of my applications - a previous version. Unfortunately by unpacking the new version of Autoit on my PC I found that AutoItX3.dll was referenced in a different way in my existing VB.NET applications, despite having this dll in the same directory as my application. Uninstalling the latest version of Autotext still left my applications broken.

Fair enough I thought I will use the new dll, so compiled a program using this dll and tried it out on a test machine that had other applications using the old dll. Unfortunately the other applications were then broken - despite AutoItX3.dll sitting in the same directory as the application. Uninstalling my new application with the new dll still left the existing applications broken. This is a nightmare. Any suggestions?? I have a number of users with applications using AutoItX3.dll, and cannot afford to deploy this and 'break' their other applications.

Paul Bromley

You need to always read the change log. The AutoItX dll was upgraded to unicode.

The new version of AutoItX dll will not live on the same machine as code using a previous 2004 dll, and also causes major problems when re-deployed to machines with other applicatiosn using this old dll. I always locate the dlls in the application directory and register them in that directory. Is this the case?? Seems that this could cause potential chaos if coincidentally different apps from different sourse used different dlls despite being in the smae directory as the application. i would like to move to the latest dll, but this would invoilve cahnging the coding for 4 applications on some user sites at the same time and would not endear me to them. Any solutions?? Apologies for my ignorance but I have found little on the site re the quote above.

Thanks

Paul Bromley

• Administrators

If you are using COM you need to register. If you are not using COM (which it sounds like) then you could just have an old version of the dll in the same folder as old applciations, and the new dll in the same folder as new applications. That should work ok?

You can only have one version of the COM dll registered, but the new one should work fine for that.