Can AutoIt do Application "Flipping"? (registry hacks)

pmax

Hi. I've only used Autoit for simple/light needs - so I know it can do more: but could it be used for this:

Have a need for 2 versions of one application, both versions need the same set of registry keys, but with different values.

Can I create an executable using AutoIt that allows users without administrative rights to "flip" between an old version and a new version?

This executable would have to be pushed to a wide audience and has to work with admin privileges on the workstations.

This is a very simplistic summary of the need (it's actually 2 applications and there is a bit more to it) but wanted to get an informed view on the above question before proceeding down a dead alley.

Also; and this is just a thought bubble, are there any AutoIt gurus for hire? (i.e. prepared to do 'it' and get paid for 'it')

It might be possible to do this - you will need 2 exe's; one to start the old version and the 2nd to start the new one.

At the begining the exe will write the registry keys with the appropriate values and it will start your app after.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

[...]

Have a need for 2 versions of one application, both versions need the same set of registry keys, but with different values. Can I create an executable using AutoIt that allows users without administrative rights to "flip" between an old version and a new version?

[...]

Also; and this is just a thought bubble, are there any AutoIt gurus for hire? (i.e. prepared to do 'it' and get paid for 'it')

It depends on the question if you're planning to run both versions of the application at the same time or not. If so, I don't see how to avoid the two registry-sets "polluting" each other. If you want the two versions, but will only run one of the versions at the same time, you could create a "portable" version of the app using Portable App Creator. The Portable App created backs up the original registry and application data settings of the app on the computer, runs the app with alternative settings, and then restores the original settings.

If Portable App Creator isn't exactly what you are looking for, it still may help you (or any guru you're willing to hire) to start. The scripts provided there do contain routines you might want to use...

Please don't consider this post as spam. Though Portable App Creator was written by me, it's completely written in AutoIt (with a helper program), so it might contain interesting code for pmax