compiler directives

trids

If the decision of which text-editor to use with AutoIt is still truly up to the user, and support has not been withdrawn for "any text editor even notepad" .. then shouldn't compiler directives be a feature of the compiler that is AutoIt, rather than rewards for subscribing to a particular text-editor?

These directives are a good idea, but why not support them intrinsically instead of allowing them only to those agree to change to SciTE:

#Compiler_AUT2EXE = C:\AutoIt\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe

#Compiler_Icon = C:\Icons\StarWars\AT ST.ico

; Target: C:\AutoIt\User Scripts\Compiled Scripts\Closer.exe

#Compiler_Compression = 4

#Compiler_Allow_Decompile = y

#Compiler_PassPhrase =

#Compiler_Res_Fileversion = 0.0.0.9

#Compiler_Res_Description = Startup Script

#Compiler_Res_LegalCopyright =

#Compiler_Res_Comment = Created by me

#Compiler_Res_Field1Name = Platform

#Compiler_Res_Field1Value = 9x, NT

#Compiler_Res_Field2Name = Autoit version

#Compiler_res_Field2Value = 1.0.103

#Compiler_Run_AU3Check = n

#Compiler_Run_Before =

#Compiler_Run_After =

I'm not interested in re-opening the Text-Editor Wars: it may be fun to mass-debate about whose editor is better, but IMHO it would be self-destructive for AutoIt to start to favour one text-editor over another.

If a good idea originates from a certain user-group or from any individual, then give credit where it's due; but if it fits within the scope of the language (like the compiler directives), then lets also see it absorbed into the scope of the language.

Please, lets see these directives recognised by the compiler directly.

I think there is no editor-war in what you say: the "compiler directives" can be used by different elements, and not specificaly by the editor.

For instance, I use some directive to use compileau3.

I launch this utility through PSPad, but at first, I used to use Notepad as editor and use batch files (and then right-click pop-up actions made thanks to some registry editing) to launch and/or compile my scripts...

Thus, you can't say "compiler directives" are strictly editor-related features.

ANYWAY, I agree with you: compiler directives sould stay compiler properties...

Additional features like the one provided by CompileAu3 should best be inside comments for instance:

#ce
#Compiler_AUT2EXE = C:\AutoIt\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe
#Compiler_Icon = C:\Icons\StarWars\AT ST.ico
; ... Add as many CompileAu3 (or other tools) directives here ...
#cs

and parsed someway by each tool...

This would be clearer.

Finally I do not have any requirement myself: I use few "compiler directives" and do not intend (for the moment at least) to produce some tool using them, so...

Edited by LazyCoder
A good program computing A into B is mostly one that won't crash in all the other cases...

Thanks for your reply, LazyCoder.

My comments about the text-editor wars may be better understood in the context of threads like these:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1001

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...wtopic=5574&hl=

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...454entry48454

But the point I'm trying to make is that I believe the compiler (Aut2Exe.exe) should be beefed up to recognise enhanced compiler directives like those currently only supported by/for the SciTE sub-community .. rather than leaving it up to a scripted pre-processor. And I like your idea of having editor-specific "directives" within comments, where CompileAu3 can do it's SciTE-specific thing for example.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the SciTE-fans .. in fact I'm suggesting that their good idea would benefit more people if it were implemented in the right place.

:lmao:

Edit: reference to 'editor-specific "directives" '; errata

Edited by trids

I made this suggestion long ago, and some strange person (might have been Jon :lmao:) said that they didn't want to go through the trouble of having to add a script parser to the aut2exe since there was only a fileinstall parser as of now. Now that this is more popular, I hope it can be included after all.

Who else would I be?

• Developers

But the point I'm trying to make is that I believe the compiler (Aut2Exe.exe) should be beefed up to recognise enhanced compiler directives like those currently only supported by/for the SciTE sub-community .. rather than leaving it up to a scripted pre-processor. And I like your idea of having editor-specific "directives" within comments, where CompileAu3 can do it's SciTE-specific thing for example.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the SciTE-fans .. in fact I'm suggesting that their good idea would benefit more people if it were implemented in the right place.

:lmao:

Edit: reference to 'editor-specific "directives" '; errata

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The compiler directives are used by Compileau3.exe, which is a separate AutoIt3 script that i have written.

It is available on My AutoIt3 stuff page and also incorporated in SciTE4AutoIt3 installer. It can be use by anybody with any editor or stand alone.

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

@JdeB:

trids is pretty clear y'know.

As you quoted him:

But the point I'm trying to make is that I believe the compiler (Aut2Exe.exe) should be beefed up to recognise enhanced compiler directives like those currently only supported by/for the SciTE sub-community .. rather than leaving it up to a scripted pre-processor.

• Developers

@JdeB:

trids is pretty clear y'know.

As you quoted him:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could be i am reading things wrong here but i read in layman terms that it is only supported in SciTE and wanted to clarify its not a SciTE feature.... thats all.. :lmao:

should be beefed up to recognise enhanced compiler directives like those currently only supported by/for the SciTE sub-community

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)