Open file & Run with specific program

jfcby

Hello,

Windows Media Player is not my default player for .m3u files.

How can I open a .m3u file to run in Windows Media Player?

I've tried:

Run("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u")

Thank you for your help,

jfcby

Determined -- Devoted -- Delivered Make your mind up -- to seriously apply yourself -- accomplishing the desired results. **** A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1 KJB ****

Try:

Run("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u")

Or:

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe","C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u")

Hello,

Windows Media Player is not my default player for .m3u files.

How can I open a .m3u file to run in Windows Media Player?

I've tried:

Run("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u")

Thank you for your help,

jfcby

You are passing the file path as the temporary directory parameter, so that's wrong. See the help file entry for Run().

Perhaps you were thinking of ShellExecute(), which is also in the help file:

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u", "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible", "Open")

:)

Doh! Three-eyed fish can type faster...

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

hehe. The ShellExecute example I posted doesn't work. THis does:

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))
Edited by Nahuel

hehe. The ShellExecute example I posted doesn't work. THis does:

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))
Works Great!

Where would you add these command line parameters /open, /play, /new for Windows Media Player?

I've tried inserting them in code below and reading the help file but they did not work.

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u", "/Open"))

and

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/open", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

and

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe /open", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

Thank you for your help,

jfcby

Determined -- Devoted -- Delivered Make your mind up -- to seriously apply yourself -- accomplishing the desired results. **** A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1 KJB ****

Works Great!

Where would you add these command line parameters /open, /play, /new for Windows Media Player?

I've tried inserting them in code below and reading the help file but they did not work.

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u", "/Open"))

and

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/open", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

and

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe /open", FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

Thank you for your help,

jfcby

All of the parameters together form one string parameter:

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/open " &  FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

All of the parameters together form one string parameter:

ShellExecute("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/open " &  FileGetShortName("C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Downloads\KJBible\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))
For future reference purposes:

If you want to run, open, or execute Windows Media Player v 11 playing an audio file with command line options then tested working examples are below.

Run wmplayer v11 with no audio file but "Now Playing" tab selected...

ShellExecute("D:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/Task NowPlaying", FileGetShortName("D:\Documents and Settings\James Cooper\My Documents\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

Run wmplayer v11 audio file playing with "Now Playing" tab selected...

ShellExecute("D:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", FileGetShortName("D:\Documents and Settings\James Cooper\My Documents\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

Run wmplayer v11 audio file not playing with "Media Library" tab selected...

ShellExecute("D:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/Task MediaLibrary", FileGetShortName("D:\Documents and Settings\James Cooper\My Documents\mp3\_KJVOldNewTeatament\_KJB.m3u"))

Run wmplayer v11 saved audio Playlist playing with "Now Playing" tab selected...

ShellExecute("D:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe", "/Playlist KJB_OldTestament")

Thank you for help,

jfcby

Edited by jfcby

I've been using ShellExecute for a little utility to open a file or run a program at x y on screen. I don't see any mechanism for exception handling though. If I test the return value from ShellExecute, by the time I do a MsgBox() the system has already put up an error dialog with 8 lines of dense crud for the user to read, then my MsgBox comes up kinda' redundant.

Is there any way to trap system errors?

My app is not a Gui app. Just reads $CmdLine params and calls ShellExecute() then moves the window

after the program opens, then exits.