Scripted install of Indexing Service?

Anybody got a link or a clue for me on how to script installation of the Indexing Service on Win2K3 server? All I can find is tens of thousands of web sites that describe using the Add/Remove Programs GUI, and hundreds of thousands that say the service is buggy. Well, I told them that and they still want it loaded, so I need to find a scriptable process for it.

:P

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Check out this... this is a site that shows you how to script it via a VBS but you ought to be able to accomplish the same thing via AutoIt pretty easily.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/w.../disk/indexing/

Thanks for the link. There is good stuff there for using the indexing service, but I still don't see installing it.

Once installed, for example, this stops/restarts the service just fine:

$objAdminIS = ObjCreate("Microsoft.ISAdm")
$objAdminIS.Stop()
MsgBox(64, "Stopped", "The indexing service is stopped.")
$objAdminIS.Start()
MsgBox(64, "Restarted", "The indexing service is restarted.")

I'm still not finding how to install it.

Now, the executable is: @SystemDir & "\cisvc.exe"

So I guess I need to see if it's as simple as installing that executable as a service. But I would rather find a way to get it installed exactly the same as through Add/Remove Programs, except scripted.

P.S. Some time ago, I came across SYSOCMGR.EXE and tried to use it for this, but it didn't work... I need to go back and rediscover why it didn't.

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

P.S. Some time ago, I came across SYSOCMGR.EXE and tried to use it for this, but it didn't work... I need to go back and rediscover why it didn't.

Well I still don't know why it didn't work... because it did work!

I just created a C:\Temp\CISVC_SYSOC.inf file:

[Components]
IndexSrv_System=on

...and then ran the manager:

%WINDIR%\System32\SYSOCMGR.EXE /i:%WINDIR%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:C:\Temp\CISVC_SYSOC.inf

It worked fine.

@PsaltyDS

Once you get it running this might come in handy MS indexing Search Engine,

Thanks for the tip

Regards

ptrex

Well now, there's the rub:

Condition is well that your Indexing Service is running.

; ...

ptrex

Still good stuff, and I did get it installed from the command line, so I'll have it in AutoIt in a few minutes.