Trying to make script to perform an installation

Hi. Im trying to write a simple script to install a software application for us. My problem however is that once i get through the initial data entry, i want to be able to wait untill the software has completed installation. However the window name never changes so i do not know how i can detect when to send the {enter} command to finish the setup. Is there some way to detect say that the progress bar is still on the window and then sleep untill it disappears or something?

There are several tools that can help you.

1. If you have installed the full AutoIt Suite, then you will have a tool called the AutoIt Window Info. It will give you information on the window in question.

2. There is a macro tool called ScriptWriter, but when you run it, it will have the name of AU3Recorder 3.1. It will record what happens during the install, and write the script for you.

3. Your application that you are installing may support command line switches when installing. If it does, you can use a command line switch to have it install automatically.

hope this helps!

Hi. Im trying to write a simple script to install a software application for us. My problem however is that once i get through the initial data entry, i want to be able to wait untill the software has completed installation. However the window name never changes so i do not know how i can detect when to send the {enter} command to finish the setup. Is there some way to detect say that the progress bar is still on the window and then sleep untill it disappears or something?

Is there anything else that changes when the installation is complete? Maybe some text in the window or a button appears to click OK or something.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

in most situations there is a disabled(greyed out) button for "next" or "finish" that become active(colored) when the install finishes.

you could use a while loop and get the state of that button then when it becomes active use controlclick() on it.

=]

if you post a link to the installer i am sure we could help you better

Typically there is a process that runs for an installation in task manager. e.g. msiexec.exe, setup.exe, or name of the install program. I have created many installation scripts and use the ProcessWaitClose() function. Once the process is done, it will not be running anymore and then the script can continue. Like wise you can do a condition with ProcessExist, but I prefer ProcessWaitClose().

Edited by EndFunc
EndFuncAutoIt is the shiznit. I love it.

AU3Recorder should do it, give that a try.

Unfortunately there are no installation switches or unattended files for me to do a silent installation.

The software is using installshield for its installation.

There are buttons that are "greyed" out however this software does not recongize an an alphabetical key press when the files have finished being copied and the installation is complete. The "Finish" button requires either {enter} or mouse click to be pressed.

I tried the recording program however it does not wait for the software to finish installing, instead it sends my {enter} command while installing and simply hits cancel.

Unfortunately there are no installation switches or unattended files for me to do a silent installation.

The software is using installshield for its installation.

There are buttons that are "greyed" out however this software does not recongize an an alphabetical key press when the files have finished being copied and the installation is complete. The "Finish" button requires either {enter} or mouse click to be pressed.

I tried the recording program however it does not wait for the software to finish installing, instead it sends my {enter} command while installing and simply hits cancel.

nevermind guys, got it all figured out

• 2 weeks later...