Compiling for 64bit OS

I'm just wondering, do I need to compile my AutoIt script on a 64bit computer to make it work with other 64bit OS's.

Or can I simple compile in under a 32bit and it will work for 64bit?

Edited by Zisly

I'm just wondering, do you need to compile my AutoIt script on a 64bit computer to make it work with other 64bit OS's.

Or can I simple compile in under a 32bit and it will work for 64bit?

64bit is backwards compatible with 32bit so old executables will work the same as they did before on x64. However you will not get the improved speed/features unless you recompile your executables for x64.

Edit:

Forgot to add, you can compile the exe to x64 on a 32bit machine, but you'll need an x64 to run it.

Edited by monoceres

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

64bit is backwards compatible with 32bit so old executables will work the same as they did before on x64. However you will not get the improved speed/features unless you recompile your executables for x64.

Edit:

Forgot to add, you can compile the exe to x64 on a 32bit machine, but you'll an x64 to run it.

Yeah I know I'll need a x64 to run it :P

So I can compile (64bit au3) it under my 32but machine and it will run properly on a 64bit one? (sorry if I'm a bit slow, tired :unsure:)

Yeah I know I'll need a x64 to run it :P

So I can compile (64bit au3) it under my 32but machine and it will run properly on a 64bit one? (sorry if I'm a bit slow, tired :unsure: )

Yes, but you should't rely on them to work as you expect, a lot of small nasty bugs can find their way into perfectly functional scripts when you compile them for x64. Especially if you use UDF's that uses dllcall and dllstructs since the size of some of the types change under x64.

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Yes, but you should't rely on them to work as you expect, a lot of small nasty bugs can find their way into perfectly functional scripts when you compile them for x64. Especially if you use UDF's that uses dllcall and dllstructs since the size of some of the types change under x64.

Would that happen also if I would compile it on a x64 machine?

Would that happen also if I would compile it on a x64 machine?

Yes it will, since this is a problem in the scripts code, not in the compiling environment. You should follow monocers advice, compile them for x64 if you want, but be extremely careful with any dll-stuff due to the changed types in x64.

Yes it will, since this is a problem in the scripts code, not in the compiling environment. You should follow monocers advice, compile them for x64 if you want, but be extremely careful with any dll-stuff due to the changed types in x64.

Ok, then it's not a good idea making compiling it to x64, got a lot of dll stuff.

Anyways thanks monocers & AdmiralAlkex!! :P