_FileCountLines on an Open File in Windows 7

Eru

I play a very old game called Ultima Online on a private server, and one of the things that bothers me about it is that there's no built in chat log. I wrote a chatlog program that reads all the information written to a log file that is filled mostly with crap. (Skill messages, spam, etc.) So, now that the background and purpose is out of the way, here's the meat of the problem:

I use _FileCountLines($LogFile) to get the amount of lines in the log file for parsing reasons. This has worked fantastically when I was scripting and compiling with AutoIt v 3.3.2.0 on Windows Vista. However, since I've upgraded to AutoIt 3.3.4.0 and Windows 7, _FileCountLines no longer returns the number of lines and instead returns 0 (the error code for failure).

-edit-

I've found that any file operations don't seem to work on the file. FileOpen, FileReadLine, etc. :D

On a related note, I still have the old version that is compiled on AutoIt 3.3.2.0 and it will read the lines while the program is open just fine.

-/edit-

I've found that it ONLY has this error if the game is open, and if I close the game, everything functions normally. If I compile and run the chatlog as Administrator, it still returns 0. So, my question is, how can I get it to count the number of lines in the file while the program is open?

The solution that I've come up with is to copy the file to @TempDir access it from there, and then delete it when I'm done, but that seems like a lot of excessive reading/writing for something that used to just work from the existing file, especially when the log gets to be large.

Here's the info on the _FileCountLines function:

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================

; Name...........: _FileCountLines

; Description ...: Returns the number of lines in the specified file.

; Syntax.........: _FileCountLines($sFilePath)

; Parameters ....: $sFilePath - Path and filename of the file to be read

; Return values .: Success - Returns number of lines in the file.

; Failure - Returns a 0

; @Error - 0 = No error.

; |1 = File cannot be opened or found.

; Author ........: Tylo <tylo at start dot no>

; Modified.......: Xenobiologist, Gary

; Remarks .......: It does not count a final @LF as a line.

; Related .......:

; Link ..........:

; Example .......: Yes

; ===============================================================================================================================

And here's a snippet of code, though I'm 99.999% sure there's nothing wrong with it aside from being sloppy as heck:

Func LoadSavedLog()
    Local $Parse = FileOpen($LogFile,0)
    Local $TotalSize = _FileCountLines($LogFile)
    ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & $LogFile & " Size: " & $TotalSize & @CRLF)
    FileReadLine($Parse,$LogFileSize-1)
    Do
        For $iLFS = 1 To 50 Step 1
            $ParsedLine = FileReadLine($Parse)
            If @error = -1 Then
                $ExitLoop=1
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
            Scrub($ParsedLine)
            $LogFileSize = $LogFileSize+1
            ConsoleWrite("LoadSavedLog Progress: " & $LogFileSize & " / " & $TotalSize & @CRLF)
            GUI()
        Next
            GUICtrlSetData($Progress,($LogFileSize/$TotalSize)*100)
            IniWrite($IniFile,"Saved","LogFileSize",$LogFileSize)
            If $ExitLoop = 1 Then ExitLoop
    Until $LogFileSize = $TotalSize
    IniWrite($IniFile,"Saved","LogFileSize",$LogFileSize)
    GUICtrlSetData($Progress,100)
    FileClose($Parse)
EndFunc

Incidentally, is it safe to just use $i in all your For loops? I tend to rename them based on their functions, as seen above.

Edited by Eru

A file can't be opened twice. You're opening it first with FileOpen but the UDF _FileCountLines also needs to use FileOpen and FileClose to open and read the file. I would suggest you reverse the two lines:

Func LoadSavedLog()
    Local $TotalSize = _FileCountLines($LogFile)
    Local $Parse = FileOpen($LogFile,0)

I would also suggest you rewrite that entire routine to use _FileReadToArray rather than FileOpen. The reason is that this is a live log your are accessing and you have a good chance of creating a file lock problem while processing it. By using _FileReadToArray, you parse each line of the log in memory rather than parsing each line while the log is locked open. I hope I explained that well enough.

Incidentally, is it safe to just use $i in all your For loops? I tend to rename them based on their functions, as seen above.

Sorry, missed this bit..

Yes, it's actually good coding.

My preferences are:

$i... for integers

$s... for strings

$h... for handles

$a... for arrays

$o... for objects

etc.

I would also suggest you rewrite that entire routine to use _FileReadToArray rather than FileOpen. The reason is that this is a live log your are accessing and you have a good chance of creating a file lock problem while processing it. By using _FileReadToArray, you parse each line of the log in memory rather than parsing each line while the log is locked open. I hope I explained that well enough.

I get what you mean, and that's on my "To Do" list. :D I wrote this before I really knew how much better _FileReadToArray was.

Also, back to the problem at hand, I just went to a different computer that is running windows Vista and the same version of AutoIt I'm trying to use now and compiled it to .exe there. I then pulled the .exe up to the Windows 7 computer and everything works fine.

So, it's probably a problem with compiling AutoIt under Windows 7. I'll see if I can set the compiler to run as Admin or something. *shrug*