Screen Recording Software assistance (made in autoit)

Hello, I've been around here a bit and yes I've searched but I couldn't find anything on making .gif or .avi files; using them yes, making them no. Does anyone know how this can be done in autoit? I have the images I need to make into a .gif or .avi (preferably a .avi but a .gif will work I suppose) so is there a way in native autoit to do this or do I need an external plugin/app?

Edited by dbzfanatic

I'm trying to make an autoit screen recorder (I know it's been done a million times but it seems like good practice for using _ScreenCapture commands) but I don't want just a bazillion (yes I know it's not a word) images so I wanted to capture the images then convert them to a .gif or .avi file so you don't need to use a player like this one: #570644

I know autoit can play .avi files and I know you can use an embedded browser to view an animated gif but it seems a bit annoying for people to have tens,hundreds, or even thousands of images on their computer (depending on how long they allowed it to run) when a single file will suffice.

Thanks for pointing me that way but it seems like a bit of a pain (considering it's around 3:30 am here at least) so I've decided to go a different way (for now). Is there a way for autoit to capture the audio from the speakers/headphones? I know some programs can access that data stream but can autoit do this? I saw audio.au3 mentioned a few times but isn't that just for playing media or does it have what I wish as well? I'll look at those links when I'm more coherent (awake) so thanks for showing me Zedna ;).

Look here and here

There are GDI+ API functions for animated GIFs.

So look at them and search for others similar for saving GIFs.

The problem with making animated gif with GDI+ is there is no api call that I'm aware of that can let you add frames to a gif file without 3rd party software/libraries or writing your own byte writing wrapper.

GDI+ lets you add frames to a multi-page tif file but GDI+ doesn't offer any easy way of adding frames to gif files.

I did actually try using the tif file to capture frames, but a 1024x768 30fps 5second capture to 1 tif file results in a greater then 30MB tif file which isn't that great if want to capture a few minutes.

Even if you set the frames to 10 fps it still isn't that great, 120MB for 1 min capture.

You could step on the image before saving the frame to the tif file and you could half/quarter the file size again.

But that would be a loss of capture quality.

Writing a player to play a multi-frame tif file is very easy.

Cheers

Edited by smashly

Hey, updated my code and it works a lil better ;). I'm attaching the file since I don't want to disclose the code yet. The hotkey is Shift+Esc to stop the recording, which brings up a player window that lets you view the "video" then asks to save it. I haven't quite figured out how to select a folder with the fileopen dialog so if anyone can tell me I'd appreciate it.

Edit: New link to file. Hosted on my website (non-static IP so it may not always work. If it does not please PM me and remind me to change the link). Screen Recorder Pro (BETA)

Edited by dbzfanatic

@ dbzfanatic

very good job. i can imagine how much hard work you did.

Thank you very much. I did do a lot of work to it but it was originally inspired by the starter of the thread I posted a link to. I still need to work on getting folders selected and I need to find a way to increase the framerate because it's only roughly 3fps right now.

Oh, well I don't have near the experience you do so I doubt I'll be able to do it either. Is there a way to increase my framerate and/or compress my images (without using .tif files) so that 12 images aren't like 8MB?

Warning: May contain semi-bump ;)

I found the option I need, which is FileSelectFolder() so now the saves should work properly. I'll update my attachment in this post and maybe remove the old one as soon as I get vista to let me compile. I'm also working on a Pause/Resume function for the player so when that is updated this thread will be also.