Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boswells

changing local admin account on XP pro

3 posts in this topic

We have a user who managed to acquire the password of the local admin account for his Windows XP laptop from a former member of the IT staff. I wondered if there was a way we could have him run a script that would either change the local admin password or rename the admin account. I was hoping to compile it in AutoIT so that the new password could not be seen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

We have a user who managed to acquire the password of the local admin account for his Windows XP laptop from a former member of the IT staff.  I wondered if there was a way we could have him run a script that would either change the local admin password or rename the admin account.  I was hoping to compile it in AutoIT so that the new password could not be seen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suggest looking into net user /? from the command prompt, then you will need to use the runas blah blah blah...

Hope this will work for you. As I did not do much research.

I think this will work.

Example

; Set the RunAs parameters to use local adminstrator account
RunAsSet("Administrator", @Computername, "adminpassword")

Run(@ComSpec & ' /k ' & 'net user Administrator newpassword', '', @SW_HIDE)

I also just read about WinXP:

While you are restarting your amchine press the F8 key to get the "Boot Mode" menu. Choose "Safe Mode". Once you get to the Log in screen log in as administrator with no password. This will allow you to reset forgotten local admin/users passwords. I'm not in a possition to test this though since I don't have XP here at work.

Edited by Kerberuz

Kerby

It worked beautifully! Thanks a lot!

I suggest looking into net user /? from the command prompt, then you will need to use the runas blah blah blah...

Hope this will work for you. As I did not do much research.

I think this will work.

Example

; Set the RunAs parameters to use local adminstrator account
RunAsSet("Administrator", @Computername, "adminpassword")

Run(@ComSpec & ' /k ' & 'net user Administrator newpassword', '', @SW_HIDE)

I also just read about WinXP:

While you are restarting your amchine press the F8 key to get the "Boot Mode" menu. Choose "Safe Mode". Once you get to the Log in screen log in as administrator with no password. This will allow you to reset forgotten local admin/users passwords. I'm not in a possition to test this though since I don't have XP here at work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>