Placing a file on Pre determined place on HDD

Hi People,

I am doing a self installation tool once again :) and for this to work peoperly i have to place a file in the program files where this program is installed. What I mean is say I install msn the following way:

Send #r and then URL to point to the web location of msn's download page.

Send TAB until the control is over the download now button.

Send ENTER and start the download.

So when the download is finished I need to send the contacts list file in the c:/Program Files/ MSN Messenger location to set up the pre set contacts.

NOW: The question is can I compile this file within the Installation program so when installation finishes I can send the file to the desired location.

Regards.

• Developers

Hi People,

I am doing a self installation tool once again  :)  and for this to work peoperly i have to place a file in the program files where this program is installed. What I mean is say I install msn the following way:

Send #r and then URL to point to the web location of msn's download page.

Send TAB until the control is over the download now button.

Send ENTER and start the download.

So when the download is finished I need to send the contacts list file in the c:/Program Files/ MSN Messenger location to set up the pre set contacts.

NOW: The question is can I compile this file within the Installation program so when installation finishes I can send the file to the desired location.

Regards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about using FileInstall() ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right... this sounds wiked... will test it tomorrow... at work. :)

Edited: It works as

FileInstall ( "source", "dest" [, flag] )

so how do I include source in my script. I mean it has to be in the .exe file itself which I will compile.

Any examples??? anyone??

Edited by Britbadboy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I'd do. Fileinstall() the MSIM installation .exe file, run it, pause the script until the install finishes, then make sure it's not running, delete the MSIM installation file, and copy over the default contact list that you require, again, with another Fileinstall() function that overwrites the existing file(s).

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

That's what I'd do.  Fileinstall() the MSIM installation .exe file, run it, pause the script until the install finishes, then make sure it's not running, delete the MSIM installation file, and copy over the default contact list that you require, again, with another Fileinstall() function that overwrites the existing file(s).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little over the top, am not too much a pro with this AutoIt thingi, so please. :)

A little over the top, am not too much a pro with this AutoIt thingi, so please.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basic rundown of functions requred to use what I mentioned:

FileInstall()

Run() OR RunWait() (probably runwait's the better option for the MSIM install)

FileDelete()

FileInstall()

It's not that hard. :D Just detailed. You'll get it eventually.

BTW: Love the avatar.

Edited by Blue_Drache

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

so how do I include source in my script. I mean it has to be in the .exe file itself which I will compile.

Any examples??? anyone??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The file is automatically integrated into the exe. If the script successfully compiles, you should be good to go. You can check the file size of the compiled script to see if it is larger than nomal (larger than 130 kb or so).
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

if its too large you can turn compression to highest, i don't know how much smaller that makes it but it should make it smaller

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

The file is automatically integrated into the exe.  If the script successfully compiles, you should be good to go.  You can check the file size of the compiled script to see if it is larger than nomal (larger than 130 kb or so).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big thanks ... got it sorted and working now.... :)