Sign in to follow this  
Matterz

Reading from an active file?

Matterz

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to AutoIt. I've been writing scripts and searching this forum constantly for the last week. However, I haven't been able to find a good solution for my script yet.

Basically I am running a program that writes to a log file. I'd like my AutoIt script to parse the file and react when certain words are found.

I tried using FileOpen() and FileRead() with the marker pointing to the last line. However, the program is constantly writing to the file and making my AutoIt script constantly read and possible miss lines or read the same line repeatedly seems like a bad approach.

Is there a way to be constantly monitoring what is written to the file other than using repeated FileRead() [or FileReadLine()] commands?

----

I hope my question is clear. Thanks for any advice.

PsaltyDS

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to AutoIt. I've been writing scripts and searching this forum constantly for the last week. However, I haven't been able to find a good solution for my script yet.

Basically I am running a program that writes to a log file. I'd like my AutoIt script to parse the file and react when certain words are found.

I tried using FileOpen() and FileRead() with the marker pointing to the last line. However, the program is constantly writing to the file and making my AutoIt script constantly read and possible miss lines or read the same line repeatedly seems like a bad approach.

Is there a way to be constantly monitoring what is written to the file other than using repeated FileRead() [or FileReadLine()] commands?

----

I hope my question is clear. Thanks for any advice.

Two obvious possibilities:

1. Read to an array with _FileReadToArray(), keeping track of what line was last checked and only review the array from that index forward.

2. Keep track of how many lines there are in the file with _FileCountLines() and only read new lines with FileReadLine().

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Matterz

Hmm Ok,

The program writes to the log file multiple times per second. I was hoping to get around constant FileRead() calls. If this is the way to go though then I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.

Thanks for the response!

PsaltyDS

If you are up to working with WMI and COM objects, you could monitor FSO (File System Object) events to trigger checking the file every time it gets written to. That's not something you would typically recommend to someone new to scripting or AutoIt, though.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law