Temp Suspend Screen Saver Utility - User Mode Privileges

Hello- I'm looking for a better approach with AutoIt so users may choose to temporarily suspend required screen saver (e.g. 1, 2, 4 hours) in a business environment consistent with policy. Target systems are WinXP (and up) where personnel are in user mode (minimal Windows privileges). Such a utility will need to be reviewed and approved.

Approaches

Generating periodic small mouse movements isn't working SuspendSPS-Beta0-8.au3 and changing the approach to tweak the registry entry "ScreenSaveActive" from 1 (Active) to 0 (Inactive) only seems to be working with WinXP - not Win7 SuspendSS-Beta0-81.au3

Given minimal user privileges, I'd just as soon come up with the simplest approach for those that really need this capability. It's also important that the systems default back to having screen saver reasserted - consistent with policy (that's also enforced with GPOs).

Suggestion or examples worth looking at to improve the approach?

Edited by OrlandoS

Well, I think I've worked out a good approach with minimal impacts for WinXP and Win7/Vista. Updated script with different approach used for WinXP versus Win7/Visa.

Windows XP

Once active for Windows XP, the utility will disable the screen saver and then reenable with available registry setting "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" "ScreenSaveActive" (a prior approach of just moving the mouse pointer proved ineffective. Additionally the utility will ensure screen saver is active upon entry and exit by asserting this registry setting. Other suggestions to use periodic command window directory listings or send key functions didn't cut it either, such as the following:

> RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c Dir C:\")

> Send("{SHIFTDOWN}{SHIFTUP}{CTRLDOWN}{CTRLUP}")

Newer Windows (Vista, Win7)

Uses a JogMouse function to impreceptively move the mouse every 30 seconds and generate activity. Preferable to tweaking the registry.

Here's the latest script that seems to resolve the issues raised and may serve as a useful example for those interested: CorpDelaySS-Beta0-83.au3

If there is an even slicker approach, that's more consistent across Windows versions (XP and up) that doesn't require registry tweaking, please elaborate.

Edited by OrlandoS