Sign in to follow this  
kjpolker

writing a kvm switch program

kjpolker

I have 2 computers hooked up to 1 monitor, instead of going into monitor settings I was wondering if I could throw together a program that is always running and starts on boot up (that's easy) where I can set a hot key such as scroll lock+1(main comp) scroll lock+2(alt comp) and it does the work for me. This would be very very similar to a KVM switch that you can buy only through a program rather than a physical device. Any help or thoughts on this? I would write an example script but I don't know where to begin. Thanks for any help =)

PsaltyDS

That would depend entirely on the driver for that monitor having a scriptable interface or a DLL you could call to programatically switch inputs.

So, what makes you think it has one?

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Richard Robertson

Well if it's a driver it has to have ioctl commands. That's how drivers communicate with applications.

Edited by Richard Robertson

PsaltyDS

Well if it's a driver it has to have ioctl commands. That's how drivers communicate with applications.

Yes, and since controlling the monitor's input selection is not going to be a native Win32 kernel built-in call, you would have to find applicable documentation of the monitor driver's available interfaces to know what call to make. At least, that was my interpretation...

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Richard Robertson

Yes, and since controlling the monitor's input selection is not going to be a native Win32 kernel built-in call, you would have to find applicable documentation of the monitor driver's available interfaces to know what call to make. At least, that was my interpretation...

And that, my friend, is why drivers are confusing. :)

kjpolker

Okay well it sounds like I am leaving this program alone for a couple of years since I am not sure about half the stuff I heard =P Thanks for replies though.