Sign in to follow this  
nndhawan

Starting a Software App

nndhawan

hi,

I just downloaded AUTO IT and am really interested in getting to know it better. I'm working on a project to where a image software takes a picture at fixed intervals, but I was hoping I could use Auto IT to automate the start up and closing of the image software. Is there a way to automatically start ...O let's say a capture.exe file that is in my program folder under capture. If I try to do it, it won't work...I'm assuming that its cause its not in a search path...but I can't find where Auto It searches or how to edit it. It's able to find notepad.exe as the tutorial shows without any added fields...soooo...I'm not sure how it goes about searching for notepad.exe and how I can use that info to find my capture.exe app.

Thanks all for your replies! :)

omikron48

Just give the full path to the exe you want to run.

Run("C:\folder1\somefolder\foo.exe")

If the program doesn't run properly, just set its working directory to its current location.

Run("C:\folder1\somefolder\foo.exe", "C:\folder1\somefolder")

If you want to wait for the program to finish doing something before you continue on in your script, use RunWait instead or Run.

Edited by omikron48

Richard Robertson

Notepad is on the path environment variable. Relying on this variable is poor practice in my opinion.

Use the full path, and surround the path with double quotes if it contains spaces. Example "C:\Program Files\..." would have double quotes in the string, so it would look like

Run('"C:\Program Files\..."')