How to Check Selection Length, even If CurrentControl is not a Known Control?

Zohar

Hello

I know how to check the Selection's Length for regular EDIT control - I do it via _GUICtrlEdit_GetSel($CurrentControl_Handle).

But let's say the selected text can be in many other types of Text Writing Controls,

for example Microsoft Word, or any other thing.

Is there a way to ask windows something about the Selection, without asking Current Control about it?

Some kind of API that check if anything is Selected, and then the Length of it?

If I try to simulate Ctrl-C, use ClipGet(), and then Check the Length of the returned value, there's 1 problem:

If nothing is selected, then the returned value is the last Ctrl-C that the user has done.

So it's not a reliable way

Thank you

Edited by Zohar

Maybe do a ClipGet first, then Ctrl-C and another ClipGet. Check the two ClipGet values, if they're not equal, Check the Length.. Not perfect though, if the second Copy is supposed to be the same as the second one...or you could do as AdmiralAlkex posted..

Edited by snowmaker

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Hi :)

Thank you for the ideas.

those 2 ideas will actually get what I want,

however the only disadvantage is that the first will Clear the clipboard, even if nothing is selected,

and the second can thin nothing is selected, if the same string is selected like before.

So I should assume there's no API that can check the Length of the Selection?

If anyone knows, please write me..

Thank you

Edited by Zohar