GImageX fails to mount WIM

Denver80203

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.. I couldn't find a forum location specific to gimageX

It was working fine for me.. now it's not working at all.. I don't know what happened.

When I attempt to mount any wim image, from any machine, I get

Mount Path: F:\Image

Image File: F:\DENOSDeploy\Operating Systems\Image_x86\Image_x86.wim

Image Index: 1

Mounted R/W: 0

Opening WIM...please wait...

ERROR: Unable to mount image.

ERROR: ???

Doesn't matter if I choose R/W or not.

I've triple checked that all the required .dll files, sys inf, exe listed as requires are in the directory with the program (running most recent WAIK).

I've tried on many machines with many WIM files 86/64)... always the same error

running the latest RTM.

Has anyone else seen this? Not sure where to start looking.

Edited by Denver80203

More info...

When I try to fall back onto imageX, I get an error that there is already an image loaded in the mount folder. There's nothing in it. If I delete the folder and create a new one, imagex works fine. if I delete the folder, add a new one, Gimagex still throws the same error

• 1 year later...

While it's unusual to post a reply to a topic so long after the fact, this thread came up first in Google so I figured I'd post the solution I discovered:

1. Make sure GImageX is closed. Open Regedit.

2. Navigate to "HKLM\Software\WIMMount\Mounted Images"

3. You should see a subkey with a long name like "374cf018-f245-442d-9544-d6a2092607e0". Delete this key. (Note: you can export it first if you're concerned about modifying the registry)

*Updated* 4. Close Windows Explorer and reopen it. Delete the folder you used as your mount point (eg. "C:\WORK\WIM"), then re-create it.

5. Restart GImageX and the image should open correctly again.

I found this after trying to follow instructions for slipstreaming Windows Home Server. The image opened the first time but then failed after.

Hope this helps someone.

KJ

More info...

When I try to fall back onto imageX, I get an error that there is already an image loaded in the mount folder. There's nothing in it. If I delete the folder and create a new one, imagex works fine. if I delete the folder, add a new one, Gimagex still throws the same error

Edited by kj75

I just wanted to say thank you for posting so far after the fact. I have been imaging x86 versions of Windows 7 for quite some time, but ran into trouble when I recently started working with x64. I followed your directions and it finally let me mount the x64 wim. Thanks again.

While it's unusual to post a reply to a topic so long after the fact, this thread came up first in Google so I figured I'd post the solution I discovered:

1. Make sure GImageX is closed. Open Regedit.

2. Navigate to "HKLM\Software\WIMMount\Mounted Images"

3. You should see a subkey with a long name like "374cf018-f245-442d-9544-d6a2092607e0". Delete this key. (Note: you can export it first if you're concerned about modifying the registry)

*Updated* 4. Close Windows Explorer and reopen it. Delete the folder you used as your mount point (eg. "C:\WORK\WIM"), then re-create it.

5. Restart GImageX and the image should open correctly again.

I found this after trying to follow instructions for slipstreaming Windows Home Server. The image opened the first time but then failed after.

Hope this helps someone.

KJ

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem only thing is i couldn't find my solution anywhere.

If someone comes across the same problem and can't find the answer like the regedit stuff...

create a map named (mount) and select it as the mount path.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

An easier way is to delete the mount folder and then make a new folder of exactly the same name.

I used Win10 x64 but I think it is same behaviour for most WIndows - you cannot re-use same mount folder.

1. Make C:\MOUNT folder

2. Use GImageX to mount a wim at C:\MOUNT

3. Dismount

4. (repeat 2-3 and it will always fail)

5. Delete C:\MOUNT folder

6.Repeat 1-3 (no problem)

Edited by Steve6375

• 2 months later...